Old 27-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Stephen M. Henning

Default golden shiner minnows

I called the Pennsylvania fish commission about fish that would be good
to keep the insects including mosquitos in control in my pond which is
spring fed and does have an overflow into local streams. They said that
I shouldn't use exotics and recommended blue gills or minnows. They
gave me the name of a local hatchery and they recommend golden shiner
minnows (notemigonous crysoleucas).

The hatchery said Golden Shiners eat tiny zooplankton (microscopic
creatures), crustaceans (water fleas and crayfish), insects, small fish,
and algae. Sounds great. If the population gets too large they can be
used as bait fish for fishermen.

Does anyone have experience with these?

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to