Old 27-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Stephen M. Henning

Default golden shiner minnows

I called the Pennsylvania fish commission about fish that would be good
to keep the insects including mosquitos in control in my pond which is
spring fed and does have an overflow into local streams. They said that
I shouldn't use exotics and recommended blue gills or minnows. They
gave me the name of a local hatchery and they recommend golden shiner
minnows (notemigonous crysoleucas).

The hatchery said Golden Shiners eat tiny zooplankton (microscopic
creatures), crustaceans (water fleas and crayfish), insects, small fish,
and algae. Sounds great. If the population gets too large they can be
used as bait fish for fishermen.

Does anyone have experience with these?

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 27-04-2004, 12:07 AM
jammer

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:15:49 GMT, "Stephen M. Henning"
wrote:

I called the Pennsylvania fish commission about fish that would be

good
to keep the insects including mosquitos in control in my pond which

is
spring fed and does have an overflow into local streams. They said

that
I shouldn't use exotics and recommended blue gills or minnows. They
gave me the name of a local hatchery and they recommend golden shiner
minnows (notemigonous crysoleucas).

The hatchery said Golden Shiners eat tiny zooplankton (microscopic
creatures), crustaceans (water fleas and crayfish), insects, small

fish,
and algae. Sounds great. If the population gets too large they can

be
used as bait fish for fishermen.

Does anyone have experience with these?

Yes, but only as a fisherman!

Old 27-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Sam Hopkins

I stocked golden shiners in my pond for a food source for bass. It is
true that they are on the bottom of the food chain and eat algae,
bugs, etc. They reproduce by sticking eggs on plants and stuff. I
tossed in some and have never seen them again. They may have very well
have reproduced though but I can't tell for sure because I also stuck
in fat head minnows. One of the two species reproduced and I had a
billion of whatever until the bass got big enough to eat them. Now I
see a few here and there this year. I'm hoping that they will
reproduce once again. I'm looking in my hatchery catalog (Zetts) and
they have 100 breeder shiners for $60.00. It'd probably be another
$15.00 to package and UPS them to you.

I tend to like bluegills. They have good personalities whereas the
shiners won't. You'll see the bluegills hanging out on the pond edge
and can feed them.

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message ...
I called the Pennsylvania fish commission about fish that would be good
to keep the insects including mosquitos in control in my pond which is
spring fed and does have an overflow into local streams. They said that
I shouldn't use exotics and recommended blue gills or minnows. They
gave me the name of a local hatchery and they recommend golden shiner
minnows (notemigonous crysoleucas).

The hatchery said Golden Shiners eat tiny zooplankton (microscopic
creatures), crustaceans (water fleas and crayfish), insects, small fish,
and algae. Sounds great. If the population gets too large they can be
used as bait fish for fishermen.

Does anyone have experience with these?

Rosie red fathead minnows illegal Ka30P Ponds 3 31-05-2004 11:08 PM
Minnows-free to a good home Monica Ponds 6 07-09-2003 07:42 PM
Red Shiner / Rainbow Dace Graham Danby Ponds 0 22-07-2003 07:37 PM
minnows Priscilla McCullough Ponds 9 26-04-2003 12:44 PM
Rosy Red Minnows Robert Liles Ponds 1 17-04-2003 12:08 AM