Old 27-04-2004, 01:02 AM
bill

Default Transplanting tulip bulbs

You could have more fun if you wait until the leaves turn brown:

When you dig up the bulbs to transplant them, you'll find little
bulblets. Plant these somewhere you aren't looking for flowers, but
the same soil type. When these little bulbs bloom, wait one day and
then cut off the flower. It's ok to cut off the whole stem to use in
an arrangement. Keep doing this for a few years and your little
bulblets will grow into big (read expensive) tulip bulbs. Eventually,
the larger bulbs get worn out because they are "wasting" energy making
seeds, etc. That's why you have to cut off the flower of the little
guys, so they put their energy into the bulb instead of seeds.

Bill

"SRR" wrote in message
om...
Now that my tulips have bloomed and gone, I've decided they need to

be
moved to a more convenient bed. Can the bulbs be transplanted now,

any
time, or during September or October as if they were just purchased,
brand new bulbs?

Thanks,

SRR