Old 27-04-2004, 02:04 AM
Anonymous

Default When Do I plant My Tomatoes ?

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 08:08:30 -0400, Al Dykes wrote:

I live in an area where three zones meet on the zone map. It seems to me
that instead of guessing my effective zone, planting tomatoes comes down
to soil temperature and the expected minimum nighttime temperature.

Does anyone plant this way ?

I see you got a lot of responses referencing 50 deg F nighttime lows. As I
read the map, my average last frost date (Detroit, MI) was April 15. As is
my habit, I planted tomatoes on the first weekend after that. I have hot
caps handy should frost threaten, but I don't think I'll be needing them
again this season.

My tomatoes are doing just fine. Thank you.

I plant in large boxes, raised 2' above the ground with their flanks
on the N & S sides. This lets the sun hit the sides of the boxes and warm
the soil quite early in the season and also helps me skip the first light
frost or two in the fall.

You can see my garden from the link in my signature below.

One other thing you could do, not mentioned in the other replies, is to
contact your county agricultural extension agent or the nearest
state agricultural college. They'll know what zone and also have a wealth
of other growing tips, to boot.

Bill
--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)