Old 27-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Cuvapu

Default Can I replace water with HF in my garden ?

(Eric Coldo) wrote in
om:

Because where I live, water is becoming scarce and expensive, but my
plants will need some liquid.

So I ask the experts here :

Can I use HF (hydrofluoric acid) in my garden to substitute H2O
(water) ?

Or should I use NH3 (ammonia) instead ?

Please help, the water shortage will kill my plants and my fishes and
frogs in the pond ...

Regrettably neither of these two substances will do the trick because
they are not liquid at normal temperatures and pressures - the liquid
forms that are readily purchasable are solutions in water - which does
not help your water shortage problem. Unfortunately, water's nearest
relative, hydrogen sulphide, is also a gas. You might consider one or
more of the carbon hydrides (pentane or hexane, for example) if you are a
non-smoker. A convenient mixture of these substances can be purchase at
your local filling station. There is a problem with them, though: oxygen
doesn't dissolve in them too well and your animals might have difficulty
breathing. So instead I recomend that you look at some of the heavier
freons, which do have quite a high oxygen-carrying capacity. Might be
expensive if your pond is large, though.

Hope this helps,

Cuv.