Old 27-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Jeff Spicoli

Default Preformed Ponds

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in
:

"Pond Diver" wrote in message
I have always wanted to get into water gardening and ponds. I've
always rented and it never was an option. Now that I own my own home
I can finally do what I've always wanted.

I had a small preformed pond (90gal) that was very successful
(proliferation of fish, vegetation as well as looks). But alas it was
in the front yard and a neighborhood dog thought it was a better
swimming hole. Since, shooting the dog isn't politically correct in
suburban America. I'm moving the pond into the backyard (fenced in of
course). The wife knows how much I loved my pond before and has given
me a fairly generous budget. GOD I love this woman!

I'm not trying to build a lake or anything. And I was considering
another preformed liner in the 140-170 gal range...and perhaps
incorporate my other small pond liner into the mix.

What kind of filter systems ya'll recommend? Pumps? UV or not? The
pond will be in full sunlight from sunrise to sunset.

Whatever you do, don't listen to the UV, Mechanical Filter gear heads
in this group. They're a bunch of loonies. The only sane filter system
is a Veggie Filter.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Hmmm... Don't know if I agree with your last statement. I wasn't happy with
my pond until I added the UV. I have mechanical, biological and UV filter.
My pond stays crystal clear in full sun now. Before the UV, I had pretty
much suspended algae through the summer months (even w/ a ton of plants).

I tried listening to people telling me how to properly balance my pond's
eco-system and let nature take its course (for about a year). Then I said
"scr%w it", bought the UV. A week or so later I am kicking myself for not
buying it in the first place.

I think it is personal preference and how much time and money you want to
spend on your pond.

Just my 2 cents.

--
B. Swanky - Boutique Giftware with Flair!
Specializes in clothing and gifts for infant, baby and toddler. We also