Old 27-04-2004, 11:15 PM
Martin Brown

Default Bulbs and Glyphosate

In message , Fredrick Skoog
writes
Hi All,

I've inadvertently managed to spray some glyphosate on some bulbs (hyacinths
I think) and am wandering what effect it will have. It's killing the foliage
as I would expect it to but is it likely to kill the actual bulb as well?

Very likely. A few very waxy plants can resist glyphosate but not
reliably. If they show any signs of premature yellowing or die back it
is probably terminal.

I have known holly seedlings survive, and I know some succulent growers
who swear by it for removing couch grass from pots of nasty spiny plants
but I wouldn't risk using it for this task myself.

The only thing you can do if you hit a wanted plant with systemic
weedkiller is lop off the contaminated bits ASAP. Translocating
weedkillers are very effective and kill the whole plant.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown