Old 27-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Derek Turner

Default Bulbs and Glyphosate

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:14:01 +0100, "Fredrick Skoog"
wrote:

Hi All,

I've inadvertently managed to spray some glyphosate on some bulbs (hyacinths
I think) and am wandering what effect it will have. It's killing the foliage
as I would expect it to but is it likely to kill the actual bulb as well?

yes, it's a translocating weekiller. Sorry!
Old 27-04-2004, 03:08 PM
Franz Heymann

"Fredrick Skoog" wrote in message
Hi All,

I've inadvertently managed to spray some glyphosate on some bulbs

(hyacinths
I think) and am wandering what effect it will have. It's killing the

foliage
as I would expect it to but is it likely to kill the actual bulb as

well?

Probably. Although it is absorbed via the leaves, it affects all parts
of the plant.

Franz

Old 27-04-2004, 07:11 PM
Bevan Price

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...

"Fredrick Skoog" wrote in message
Hi All,

I've inadvertently managed to spray some glyphosate on some bulbs

(hyacinths
I think) and am wandering what effect it will have. It's killing the

foliage
as I would expect it to but is it likely to kill the actual bulb as

well?

Probably. Although it is absorbed via the leaves, it affects all parts
of the plant.

Franz

Glyphosphate did not kill my Scilla Campanulata (Spanish Bluebell) when I tried to reduce their numbers last year - they
are mostly back again this year, choking everything else as usual.

Bevan

Old 27-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Franz Heymann

"Bevan Price" wrote in
message ...

[...]

My guess is that at the time you applied the glyphosate there were
already either newly formed bulbs or seeds underground with no
topgrowth, so they could not absorb the glyphosate.

Franz

Old 27-04-2004, 11:15 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Fredrick Skoog
writes
Hi All,

I've inadvertently managed to spray some glyphosate on some bulbs (hyacinths
I think) and am wandering what effect it will have. It's killing the foliage
as I would expect it to but is it likely to kill the actual bulb as well?

Very likely. A few very waxy plants can resist glyphosate but not
reliably. If they show any signs of premature yellowing or die back it
is probably terminal.

I have known holly seedlings survive, and I know some succulent growers
who swear by it for removing couch grass from pots of nasty spiny plants
but I wouldn't risk using it for this task myself.

The only thing you can do if you hit a wanted plant with systemic
weedkiller is lop off the contaminated bits ASAP. Translocating
weedkillers are very effective and kill the whole plant.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown