Old 28-04-2004, 12:03 AM
eclectic

Default pruning Forsythia?

"Kate Connally" wrote in message
I like the natural look in Forsythia so
I definitely don't want to trim it into a
hedge or shrub like some people do. However,
I would like to know if there is some way to
judiciously prune it so that the stems are more
even in length and spread out more evenly.
Withouth looking pruned, of course. And if
so, how and when to do it? Before blooming,
during blooming, after blooming?
Thanks,
Kate

You should avoid pruning a recently planted Forsythia for a few
years so that it becomes established first. Pruning them for a
natural look comes from removing some old wood right down to the
crown (to encourage new basal growth). Each year remove 1/4 to 1/3
of the old wood.

Forsythia flowers on year old wood, so prune them after they flower
to encourage new growth for next year's blooms.

You could do some pruning in the winter and save the removed
branches for forcing into bloom. Also, you can prune out suckers
anytime you want to limit the girth of the shrub.