Old 27-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Kate Connally

Default pruning Forsythia?

I like the natural look in Forsythia so
I definitely don't want to trim it into a
hedge or shrub like some people do. However,
I would like to know if there is some way to
judiciously prune it so that the stems are more
even in length and spread out more evenly.
Withouth looking pruned, of course. And if
so, how and when to do it? Before blooming,
during blooming, after blooming?
Thanks,
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Old 27-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Mike Gilmore

Forsythia is in bloom now or nearing the end of its brilliant yellow. Prune
immediately after flowering down to good a strong-looking bud at your
requisite height. If your plant is mature then it does help maintain its
vigour generally if you cut out some of its older shoots right down to
ground level each year, this lets more light in to the centre and encourages
new growth.

Regards
Mike Gilmore
WinsfordWalledGarden, SW England

"Kate Connally" wrote in message
I like the natural look in Forsythia so
I definitely don't want to trim it into a
hedge or shrub like some people do. However,
I would like to know if there is some way to
judiciously prune it so that the stems are more
even in length and spread out more evenly.
Withouth looking pruned, of course. And if
so, how and when to do it? Before blooming,
during blooming, after blooming?
Thanks,
Kate

--
Kate Connally
"If I were as old as I feel, I'd be dead already."
Goldfish: "The wholesome snack that smiles back,
Until you bite their heads off."

Old 28-04-2004, 12:03 AM
eclectic

"Kate Connally" wrote in message
I like the natural look in Forsythia so
I definitely don't want to trim it into a
hedge or shrub like some people do. However,
I would like to know if there is some way to
judiciously prune it so that the stems are more
even in length and spread out more evenly.
Withouth looking pruned, of course. And if
so, how and when to do it? Before blooming,
during blooming, after blooming?
Thanks,
Kate

You should avoid pruning a recently planted Forsythia for a few
years so that it becomes established first. Pruning them for a
natural look comes from removing some old wood right down to the
crown (to encourage new basal growth). Each year remove 1/4 to 1/3
of the old wood.

Forsythia flowers on year old wood, so prune them after they flower
to encourage new growth for next year's blooms.

You could do some pruning in the winter and save the removed
branches for forcing into bloom. Also, you can prune out suckers
anytime you want to limit the girth of the shrub.

Old 28-04-2004, 02:02 AM

what he says. by cutting out some old growth each year it will bloom well each
spring. Ingrid

"Mike Gilmore" wrote:
Pruneimmediately after flowering down to good a strong-looking bud at your
requisite height. If your plant is mature then it does help maintain its
vigour generally if you cut out some of its older shoots right down to
ground level each year, this lets more light in to the centre and encourages
new growth.

Regards
Mike Gilmore
WinsfordWalledGarden, SW England

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 30-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Kate Connally

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. The plant is about
10 years old now. It looks pretty good but has some
longer stems that kind of "stick out" above the newer
ones. What you all suggested is pretty much what I
suspected, mainly not sure as to best time. I'll
try to get out there in the next few weeks and have
a go at it.
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

[IMG] code is On

severe pruning of a big old forsythia Andrew Duane Lawns 3 07-05-2007 09:28 AM
Pruning a forsythia Ed United Kingdom 3 12-04-2007 09:06 PM
Forsythia Forsythia.jpg [2/2] davenport Garden Photos 2 26-03-2007 04:48 PM
Forsythia Pruning Ed United Kingdom 2 09-11-2006 04:28 PM
pruning forsythia advice chaz United Kingdom 7 19-03-2003 11:20 PM