Old 29-04-2004, 01:11 AM
Brian

Default Best Plants to start with ?

I always believe that the very best are those that you know will grow well
locally. Take a walk and look at others' gardens. Be nosey.
Most gardeners will welcome your admiration and will let you know from where
to purchase. Many will offer cuttings or offsets.
Admire a baby and you befriend the mother. A gardener is even more open
to admiration and every week or so will have new 'babies' to share or show.
Gardeners make great friends.
Local garden centres are also good places to see new plants at their
best. Always ask if they are suitable for your garden.
As previously mentioned, roses would seem to be the best. They love clay.
Best Wishes.
"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.11...
Conks wrote in
s.com:

Hi,

New to all this.

I'd like several plants that can grow in clay soil and that can achieve
a managable height of say, 1m.

Any recommendations ?

For sun, shade or somewhere in between? Is it mostly damp or mostly dry?

And do you want them that size all year round, or only in the summer?

Victoria
--
Clare Associates Ltd
http://www.clareassoc.co.uk/