Old 28-04-2004, 01:56 PM
Registered User

Default Best Plants to start with ?

Hi,

New to all this.

I'd like several plants that can grow in clay soil and that can achieve a managable height of say, 1m.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks
Old 28-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Victoria Clare

Conks wrote in
s.com:

Hi,

New to all this.

I'd like several plants that can grow in clay soil and that can achieve
a managable height of say, 1m.

Any recommendations ?

For sun, shade or somewhere in between? Is it mostly damp or mostly dry?

And do you want them that size all year round, or only in the summer?

Victoria
--
Clare Associates Ltd
http://www.clareassoc.co.uk/
Old 28-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Franz Heymann

"Conks" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi,

New to all this.

I'd like several plants that can grow in clay soil and that can

achieve
a managable height of say, 1m.

Any recommendations ?

Roses par excellence, if the site is reasonably sunny.

Franz

Old 28-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Registered User

It will be open, some sun & shade and most likely dryish?

Quote:
Originally posted by Victoria Clare

Old 28-04-2004, 11:19 PM
Bob Hobden

"Conks" wrote in message ...

New to all this.

I'd like several plants that can grow in clay soil and that can achieve
a managable height of say, 1m.

Any recommendations ?

Believe me I'm not trying to be awkward but..... besides what Victoria has
asked.
Do you want Herbaceous plants that come up each spring and die back each
autumn, or shrubs (evergreen or deciduous?), or bulbs (spring, summer?), or
annuals, or veg.....are flowers important (big and blousy or small and
dainty)...... do you or anyone in the house suffer from hayfever?

Then there's, where are you roughly? What might grow well for me 15miles W
of London might not be any good for you.

When we know this sort of detail we could give you a definitive list ( but
it will be our favourites remember) :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 29-04-2004, 01:11 AM
Brian

I always believe that the very best are those that you know will grow well
locally. Take a walk and look at others' gardens. Be nosey.
Most gardeners will welcome your admiration and will let you know from where
to purchase. Many will offer cuttings or offsets.
Admire a baby and you befriend the mother. A gardener is even more open
to admiration and every week or so will have new 'babies' to share or show.
Gardeners make great friends.
Local garden centres are also good places to see new plants at their
best. Always ask if they are suitable for your garden.
As previously mentioned, roses would seem to be the best. They love clay.
Best Wishes.
.11...

Old 29-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Registered User

Bob,

Live in Gloucester.

I like evergreens (shrubs) I guess, again, mid sized & managable.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hobden

Old 29-04-2004, 06:08 PM
nambucca

"Conks" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi,

New to all this.

I'd like several plants that can grow in clay soil and that can achieve
a managable height of say, 1m.

Any recommendations ?

Thanks
--
Conks

Roses and Primula wanderer absolutely love clay soils

Old 29-04-2004, 07:07 PM
Bob Hobden

"Conks" wrote ,

Live in Gloucester.

I like evergreens (shrubs) I guess, again, mid sized & managable.

OK, if your soil is ph. neutral (as my clay is) to acid there are Camellias
and evergreen Azaleas which flower about now, and the small growing
"Yakushimanum" hybrid Rhododendrons. Whilst the Camellias will eventually
get large it's a slow process and they can be pruned to keep them lower,
some of the lily flowered varieties don't seem to grow too big anyway. We
have one that's 20 years old and only 4ft high.
If you aren't sure about your soil take a look at gardens around you and see
if there are camellias in flower now, and if the leaves look a healthy
darkish green it's OK for you to plant them. Peiris too likes it a bit acid.

Hebe's stay fairly low if you choose the right variety.
Some of the variegated Holly's are nice too, and again, can be clipped to
keep them smaller.
Dwarf Cytisus (Broom) is a good flowerer.
Tibouchina is nice.
Nandina domestica "Richmond", may get a bit taller in time (up to 7ft) but
is a stunning plant anyway.

I've not mentioned Roses 'cause I don't like them, spiteful things. :-)

Old 29-04-2004, 08:38 PM
Janet Bennett

http://www.crocus.co.uk/findplant2/clay/
Have a look at the above site (photos included). May give you some
inspiration.