Old 29-04-2004, 10:06 AM
culprit

Default intro / blackberry control

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message
news:zC9ic.8026$cF6.378079@attbi_s04...
Himalayan blackberries are pervasive in all parts of the PNW, so know that
you are not alone in this plight.. You need to maintain a buffer zone
between the "natural growth" area and the cultivated portion of your

garden
by keeping the blackberries cut back and nothing planted for at least 6
feet. If you could fence off the area, that would help considerably, but

if
that is not possible, routinely maintaining this open space will prevent

the
encroachment of the vines onto your property.

i'm not interested in fencing it, but the open space idea has inspired me a
bit... i'm starting to invision a border strip of small rocks... hmm,
i'll have to think more about this. thanks!

Dealing with the shoots that pop up is another matter. Birds (and no doubt
the new construction activity) spread the seeds which can germinate years
after ripening and falling. If you routinely remove or treat with a
brush-killing herbicide, you will get them under control. 'Blackberry and
Brush Blocker' is an acetic acid based formulation that has proven
effective. It temporarily changes the soil pH so that growth is stifled,

but
this will apply to any vegetation in the area. Use it BEFORE you plant
anything ornamental in this area. The plants must be in active growth and

it
can take upto 6 months of periodic treatment. The soil will also need to

be
neutralized before replanting (use lime and a soil test).

this sounds like it will kill any chance of having a lawn this year. :-) i
really need some grass or something out back. otherwise the yard is all mud
and my dogs get filthy. will any grasses stand up to this treatment? it
doesn't need to be a beautiful bluegrass lawn, we've currently got a pasture
mix out there (ryegrass, fescues and red clover).

Otherwise,
non-specific herbicides like RoundUp or Finale painted full strength on

the
emerging shoots will help.

this has been our weapon so far. we've gone through three gallons of
roundup this month.

The good news is you have a ready source of delicious berries right off

your
backyard. As unpleasant and weedy as the vines may be, the berries in

August
are hard to beat - just think of all those pies, jams and cobblers you can
make!

this is what i keep telling myself. that and the brambles make a decent
deer barrier.

-kelly