Old 29-04-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Pineapple

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:58:38 +0100, "D Russell"
wrote:

Bob Flowerdew has grown pineapples in this country, inside a polytunnel, in
a specially heated house I think.

Anyway, what I have constructed is a small, was 18" cube of plastic sheeting
on a frame, I had to up this to a 2 foot cube last autumn. This then sits
inside the greenhouse, and has already this year reached, well over 100
degrees. The real problem as I see it is keeping the light levels up high
enough.

Thanks for the replies; there does not seem to be a consensus of
opinion, but I'll be optimistic and hope for success. Nothing
ventured, nothing gained. What's the worst that can happen?

I bought a green pineapple from the garden centre, and I have only
recently bought the greenhouse, but already it (the pineapple, not the
green house) is beginning to turn yellow. The weather this week has
saved me a large watering bill, but has kept the greenhouse shaded and
cool. I will follow your advice and try to grow within polythene
inside the greenhouse for double the effect.

Thanks again.