Old 29-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Stephen Howard

Default Carrots and Leeks

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:40:29 +0100, "Vicky"
wrote:

I saw a report ages ago about a guy who grew his show leeks and carrots in
plastic pipes to encourage their size and growth. I'm limited for space in
my garden but I'd like to give this a try and wondered if it was feasible to
line up various bits of plastic pipe around my patio, filled with compost,
earthing up the leeks as they go. I assume the warmth of the pipes in the
sun must beneficial.

Any hints from the experienced? I did grow leeks succesfully in my garden a
few years ago but the space is now monopolised by kids.

As a method of growing large specimens it works very well - though
you'll be disappointed by the results if you actually eat the veg.

Leeks and carrots do surprisingly well when pushed for space - and the
trick is to ensure that you have a decent depth of very rich soil.
Assuming you have the time and the patience, a 2ft square hole dug a
foot deep and filled in with a sieved soil and compost mix will churn
out beautiful carrots ( and leeks ) that can be lifted straight out of
the soil.

Choose a long cylindrical carrot ( as opposed to a tapered one ) to
maximise your yield - and similarly, choose a slender leek for the
same reason.

If even that takes up too much space, you can grow quite a few in a
plain old bucket. Two or three would keep you in fresh carrots for
summer salads.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk