Old 26-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Vicky

Default Carrots and Leeks

I saw a report ages ago about a guy who grew his show leeks and carrots in
plastic pipes to encourage their size and growth. I'm limited for space in
my garden but I'd like to give this a try and wondered if it was feasible to
line up various bits of plastic pipe around my patio, filled with compost,
earthing up the leeks as they go. I assume the warmth of the pipes in the
sun must beneficial.

Any hints from the experienced? I did grow leeks succesfully in my garden a
few years ago but the space is now monopolised by kids.

Vicky

Old 26-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Vicky wrote:
I saw a report ages ago about a guy who grew his show leeks and carrots in
plastic pipes to encourage their size and growth. I'm limited for space in
my garden but I'd like to give this a try and wondered if it was feasible to
line up various bits of plastic pipe around my patio, filled with compost,
earthing up the leeks as they go. I assume the warmth of the pipes in the
sun must beneficial.

Any hints from the experienced? I did grow leeks succesfully in my garden a
few years ago but the space is now monopolised by kids.

Sounds interesting. You may have to put up with vulgar comments
about the length of your leeks, but we gardeners are an earthy lot!

Please tell us how it works. It sounds perfectly sensible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Vicky

Sounds interesting. You may have to put up with vulgar comments
about the length of your leeks, but we gardeners are an earthy lot!

Please tell us how it works. It sounds perfectly sensible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I seem to recall that he planted the leek quite a way down the tube on a bed
of good quality compost and earthed it up as it grew up the tube. Once it
reached optimum size, he withdrew it from said tube - ooer missus! The leek
had grown to almost fill the tube and these huge specimens were then
submitted to his local shows where he got quite a few prizes. He planted
carrots in the same way (without earthing them up) and also used a feed of
his own making, the secret of which he refused to divulge. However, with my
new and exciting compost heap (I lead a sheltered existence!) together with
my soon to be made nettle manure, I should be away! With the fairies by the
sound of it! Oh and the seaweed from my nearby beach.

Vicky

Old 29-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:40:29 +0100, "Vicky"
wrote:

I saw a report ages ago about a guy who grew his show leeks and carrots in
plastic pipes to encourage their size and growth. I'm limited for space in
my garden but I'd like to give this a try and wondered if it was feasible to
line up various bits of plastic pipe around my patio, filled with compost,
earthing up the leeks as they go. I assume the warmth of the pipes in the
sun must beneficial.

Any hints from the experienced? I did grow leeks succesfully in my garden a
few years ago but the space is now monopolised by kids.

As a method of growing large specimens it works very well - though
you'll be disappointed by the results if you actually eat the veg.

Leeks and carrots do surprisingly well when pushed for space - and the
trick is to ensure that you have a decent depth of very rich soil.
Assuming you have the time and the patience, a 2ft square hole dug a
foot deep and filled in with a sieved soil and compost mix will churn
out beautiful carrots ( and leeks ) that can be lifted straight out of
the soil.

Choose a long cylindrical carrot ( as opposed to a tapered one ) to
maximise your yield - and similarly, choose a slender leek for the
same reason.

If even that takes up too much space, you can grow quite a few in a
plain old bucket. Two or three would keep you in fresh carrots for
summer salads.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk