Old 01-05-2004, 07:04 PM
JRYezierski

Default Eating Last Season's Frozen Peppers!

Hold on folks,Lets get real easy and simple when freezing peppers and
asparagus.
Peppers pick them ,bring in house wipe clean/dry with terry towel/cotton
t-shirt.Make sure thay are dry(not dryed out) than either put them in your
freezer containers you use if you going to use the whole amount at once.Or
put them on a cookie sheet and than package once they get partially frozen.
If you have a vacum sealer I would do the prefreeze method(which I do)
Asparagus one difference give them a cold rinse dry them off cut them if
desired and follow same method as for peppers.
This method my grandmother had used for many years before freezing was the
way to do veggies.
You may also give aspragus a one minute blanch before the drying them off
process.You may want to try both ways and determine what you like best.
Peppers will not taste like fresh picked but than what veggie after being
frozen does?
Have fun
Jerome
"MOM PEAGRAM" wrote in message
Thanks! we just had that experience last nite.

"---Pete---" wrote in message
Everyone,
Have you ever frozen your harvest of green peppers
but upon defrosting them many months later the
taste is not as good as fresh picked? The taste is
sometimes on the bitter side with an after taste
that's hard to describe but not so great.

Well, here's a tip that will make those peppers
taste so much better after being frozen for
many months. I've done this with Jalapeno peppers
that were frozen in September and eaten in May
of the following year (8 months frozen). I just
discovered this technique and thought I'd share
it.

Harvest & Freezing the Peppers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1.) First and most important is to pick the peppers
when they are still young enough where the seeds
are still white. Don't let them stay on the plant
too long where the seeds get dark in color because
the peppers become more bitter in taste.

2.) After harvesting, immediately wash the peppers under
cold tap water and store them in plastic freezer bags.
Mark the bags with date harvested for future reference.
Freeze them immediately!

Thawing and Preparing the Peppers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1.) Take a few peppers from the freezer and rinse
them under warm tap water for a minute or so to have
them thaw out slightly to where they can be cut with
a knife.

2.) Cut off the tops and slice each pepper in half.
Then use a knife to remove the seeds and any of the
white ribs. The seeds should be white in color.
If they are dark in color it just means that they
were on the plant a bit too long and might be a
little on the bitter side.

3.) Rinse the peppers under cold tap water to flush
out any remaining seeds. Then place them on a small
portion of a grill you can hold in your hands while
safely holding over the burner of your GAS stove.
The peppers should be placed on the grill with the
skins on the top side.

4.) Set the flame to medium-high and hold the grill
of peppers directly over the flame just about 1 inch
from the flame. Cook the peppers quickly and just
to the point where you see them sweating on the
skins and to the point where the edges are just
starting to burn. It only takes a minute or so to
cook them.

5.) Turn off the flame and immediately hold grill
of peppers under cold tap water to cool them down.

6.) Eat the cooled peppers immediately or store
them in the refrigerator for a while if you prefer
to eat them cold.

7.) Enjoy the peppers. You should notice that the
taste is now very close to fresh picked without
that bitter or odd after taste usually associated
with frozen peppers.

Enjoy!
I usually do this with Jalapenos, Sweet Banana
Peppers, and Cheyenne Peppers. I typically have
them as a snack with slices of cheddar cheese
and pepperoni.

Try it and let me know how this worked for
you and what peppers you used.

PS: I've tried the same process above except I
microwaved them to heat them up but they tasted
horrible. I also tried frying them which is
better than the microwave but still not as
good as the flame grilling. Only flame grilling
seems to work but I'm not sure why.

Enjoy!

---pete---