Old 02-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Katra

Default 8 ft tall pencil cactus

In article ,
Richard Shannon wrote:

True pencil cactus is a (usually) single trunked cactus with interwoven
flat laying spines that grows up the side of mesquite trees and fence
posts in South Texas. Nothing poisonous about it.

What most people call pencil cactus is a spineless, multibranched
euphorbia. It's sap is indeed toxic if ingested and also a skin
irritant, as is the sap of most euphorbias, including poinsetta.

It would be a shame to cut up such a large specimen for propagation.

Richard

Well, if he can find a buyer... :-)

There are too many of those around here. I like to call them "jumping
cactus" and they are a pain in the tailfeathers when I am out picking
dewberries! lol

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...