Old 01-05-2004, 06:04 PM
NOSPAM

Default 8 ft tall pencil cactus

I have a 10 year old, 8 ft tall pencil cactus that I would like to get rid
of. It just got too big and unwieldy for me inside my home.

If you have anything you would like to trade for this plant, or if you would
just like to make an offer for it, please email:
. Just take out the NOSPAM portion.

Thanks

Old 01-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Katra

In article ,
"NOSPAM" wrote:

I have a 10 year old, 8 ft tall pencil cactus that I would like to get rid
of. It just got too big and unwieldy for me inside my home.

If you have anything you would like to trade for this plant, or if you would
just like to make an offer for it, please email:
. Just take out the NOSPAM portion.

Thanks

You could cut it up and propagate it... :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 01-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Gary Brady

You could cut it up and propagate it..

Just don't get the sap on your skin. It's quite poisonous.

The Voice of Experience.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Old 02-05-2004, 03:08 AM
Richard Shannon

True pencil cactus is a (usually) single trunked cactus with interwoven
flat laying spines that grows up the side of mesquite trees and fence
posts in South Texas. Nothing poisonous about it.

What most people call pencil cactus is a spineless, multibranched
euphorbia. It's sap is indeed toxic if ingested and also a skin
irritant, as is the sap of most euphorbias, including poinsetta.

It would be a shame to cut up such a large specimen for propagation.

Richard

Katra wrote:
In article ,
OSPAM (Gary Brady) wrote:

You could cut it up and propagate it..

Just don't get the sap on your skin. It's quite poisonous.

The Voice of Experience.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Just pencil cactus or others?

As a general rule, I wear gloves with cactus anyway to keep the fungal
dust off of my skin. :-)

K. (who was propagating San Pedro cactus last week)

Old 02-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Gary Brady

What most people call pencil cactus is a spineless, multibranched euphorbia.
It's sap is indeed toxic if ingested and also a skin irritant, as is the sap of
most euphorbias, including poinsetta.

The experience is actually my wife's, and the pencil tree is the plant
described above. Our tree had grown to a large size and she decided to
propogate some of the smaller limbs and get rid of the main plant. She brushed
her lower leg against one of the cut trunks and then kneeled down,
transferring the sap to her upper leg also. She ended up with two whopping
sores that seemed to take about 2 weeks to heal.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Old 02-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Katra

In article ,
Richard Shannon wrote:

True pencil cactus is a (usually) single trunked cactus with interwoven
flat laying spines that grows up the side of mesquite trees and fence
posts in South Texas. Nothing poisonous about it.

What most people call pencil cactus is a spineless, multibranched
euphorbia. It's sap is indeed toxic if ingested and also a skin
irritant, as is the sap of most euphorbias, including poinsetta.

It would be a shame to cut up such a large specimen for propagation.

Richard

Well, if he can find a buyer... :-)

There are too many of those around here. I like to call them "jumping
cactus" and they are a pain in the tailfeathers when I am out picking
dewberries! lol

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 02-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Richard Shannon

Katra wrote:

In article ,
Richard Shannon wrote:

True pencil cactus is a (usually) single trunked cactus with interwoven
flat laying spines that grows up the side of mesquite trees and fence
posts in South Texas. Nothing poisonous about it.

What most people call pencil cactus is a spineless, multibranched
euphorbia. It's sap is indeed toxic if ingested and also a skin
irritant, as is the sap of most euphorbias, including poinsetta.

It would be a shame to cut up such a large specimen for propagation.

Richard

Well, if he can find a buyer... :-)

There are too many of those around here. I like to call them "jumping
cactus" and they are a pain in the tailfeathers when I am out picking
dewberries! lol

K.

Oh, yes, some people think of those as pencil cactus as well - jumping
jack, otherwise known as turkey pear - pencil thin, segmented, with
long, barbed spines. That actually is, I believe, an oportuna - related
to prickly pear.

The pencil cactus I speak of is about the same size around as the other
two, but is a single weak stalk that grows much further south of here -
Duval County and south. I've seen them with 3 stalks over three feet
long, but rarely branched. It's spines lie flat in overlapping star
patterns - they are easy to handle without getting pricked. Both this
plant and the one that betdevils your berry picking are true cactus.

True cactus have a clear sap, and though some contain alkaloids you
don't want to consume, most are not toxic. Their spines are adapted
leaves, and no cactus has true leaves. True cactus are native to the
Western Hemishpere.

The plant the original poster has to be rid of is no cactus but a
eurphoria - it has no spines and a milky instead of clear sap. There
will sometimes in good circumstances be true leaves at the ends of the
growing tips.

Euphorbias are a large family of plants with milky sap, most of which
are toxic or at least an irritant. Many of them, like the so-called
cowhorn plant and the pencil plant are thought of by many as cactus, but
they are not. Besides the toxic aspects of their sap, their spines are
adapted flower stalks instead of modified leaves as in cactus. Many
euphorbia in Africa and the Mediterranian, growing in desert areas,
resemble cactus.

See, hobbies can be educational, as well as fun, and healthy too. These
were things I learned with my father when I was was a teenager. He
worked all over Texas in the oil fields and ranches, as cowboy and rough
neck, then as a truck driver when he was older. He had a true green
thumb, loved gardening and growing ornamentals. He collected cactus and
oddities,and after buying some euphorbias in Corpus Christi at a
nursery, we got some books from the library and found out all about
them. I've never forgotten those facts.

So if you are stuck in dry country with water, you can chew the insides
of cactus to survive, even if the sap is bitter. You can't do that with
euphorbia.

Richard

Old 03-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Katra

In article ,
Richard Shannon wrote:

Katra wrote:

In article ,
Richard Shannon wrote:

[...]

Thanks for posting this... :-)
I am just getting in to cactus collecting, and have about 3 dozen plants
so far. Just a start. Got a small greenhouse as well to keep them in.

I picked up a euphorbia/African Cactus at wal-mart tonight because it
looked so unusual. Sort of a wavy/wrinkled prickly pear type. I will
have to either get a good cactus taxonony book or find a good website!

I started out looking at the Entheogenic edible cacti, but am branching
out as these plants are ever SO fascinating!

So, all Euphorbias are toxic? That is good to know as the one I jut
bought is ripe for propagation.

I'll wear gloves. G

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

sky pencil holly dying [email protected] North Carolina 0 22-08-2006 09:19 PM
Mealy bugs and #2 pencil [email protected] Orchids 16 29-03-2005 04:24 PM
Pencil cactus glenon Gardening 20 25-12-2004 03:22 PM
Mmm, Dewberries, was 8 ft tall pencil cactus God Bless Texas Texas 1 03-05-2004 11:02 AM
Free pencil tree cuttings Gary Brady Texas 0 24-08-2003 06:42 PM