Old 02-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Help with Growing Pumpkins

"Janet Bennett" wrote in message ...
Thanks for advice. I suppose they'll need quite a considerable amout of
water and feeding?

Yes, both.

Now is about right to plant the seeds so the plants will be ready to plant
out after all chance of frost is gone, they can't take any frost.
When growing I give the pumpkins on our allotments two gallons of water a
day.

As Nick said, they do trail around for some distance so it might be worth
planting them at the back of the border and training them along the back of
your flowers. (just push sticks in the soil to guide the runners) The backs
of the leaves and the stems are spiky and can scratch badly (and Sue, for
one, is allergic to them) so they aren't a good idea anywhere people walk.
--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars