Old 01-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Janet Bennett

Default Help with Growing Pumpkins

Last Halloween I purchased a pumpkin and kept some of the seeds. Want to
try and grow my daughter a pumpkin. Can I grow one plant in a tub. Didn't
want to grow in my flower garden, as I have clay soil and loads of slugs.
Can I sow some seed now in a coldframe? Many thanks

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply
Jan

Old 01-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Bennett wrote:
Last Halloween I purchased a pumpkin and kept some of the seeds. Want to
try and grow my daughter a pumpkin. Can I grow one plant in a tub. Didn't
want to grow in my flower garden, as I have clay soil and loads of slugs.
Can I sow some seed now in a coldframe? Many thanks

Yes, and yes. But be warned that they straggle for yards and have
large leaves.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Robert

"Janet Bennett" wrote in message
: Last Halloween I purchased a pumpkin and kept some of the seeds. Want to
: try and grow my daughter a pumpkin. Can I grow one plant in a tub. Didn't
: want to grow in my flower garden, as I have clay soil and loads of slugs.
: Can I sow some seed now in a coldframe? Many thanks
:
: --
: Remove NOSPAM to reply
: Jan
:

I'm not sure about sowing in a cold frame but you can certainly sow them on
your window sill and transpalant them to your tub as long as you water it
well when it's in your tub. I expect the coldframe will slow the germination
a bit

Old 02-05-2004, 03:12 PM
Bob Hobden

"Janet Bennett" wrote in message ...
Thanks for advice. I suppose they'll need quite a considerable amout of
water and feeding?

Yes, both.

Now is about right to plant the seeds so the plants will be ready to plant
out after all chance of frost is gone, they can't take any frost.
When growing I give the pumpkins on our allotments two gallons of water a
day.

As Nick said, they do trail around for some distance so it might be worth
planting them at the back of the border and training them along the back of
your flowers. (just push sticks in the soil to guide the runners) The backs
of the leaves and the stems are spiky and can scratch badly (and Sue, for
one, is allergic to them) so they aren't a good idea anywhere people walk.
--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars