Old 02-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Frogleg

Default How to sow seeds evenly

On 1 May 2004 16:53:35 -0700, (Gulph) wrote:

Hi, folks. I've got an envelope that is supposed to contain 6,000
Rudbeckia seeds. In other words...about a tablespoon.

I want to sow these more or less evenly over a plot that's roughly
8x10 feet. Is there a simple method of spreading them out evenly over
a space that size -- that is, a simper method that making a zillion
one eighth-inch deep holes and dropping seeds in one-by-one?

Neither "more or less evenly" nor making a zillion separate plantings
will result in totally even distribution of plantlets, as they won't
all come up. You don't want 6000 plants in an 8'x10' area anyhow --
sowing so close would have seedlings fighting for their lives from day
one. The seeds are of reasonable size to scatter by hand. Rake the
dirt in your plot to provide some nooks and cranies, scatter the seed
carefully, and cover lightly.

Suggestions about mixing with sand or cornmeal are meant for making
sure tiny, tiny seeds like carrot don't all end up in a clump, as
they're rather difficult to control with fingers.