Old 02-05-2004, 01:05 AM
Gulph

Default How to sow seeds evenly

Hi, folks. I've got an envelope that is supposed to contain 6,000
Rudbeckia seeds. In other words...about a tablespoon.

I want to sow these more or less evenly over a plot that's roughly
8x10 feet. Is there a simple method of spreading them out evenly over
a space that size -- that is, a simper method that making a zillion
one eighth-inch deep holes and dropping seeds in one-by-one?

Mark
Old 02-05-2004, 02:05 AM
Sue

"Gulph" wrote in message
Hi, folks. I've got an envelope that is supposed to contain 6,000
Rudbeckia seeds. In other words...about a tablespoon.

I want to sow these more or less evenly over a plot that's roughly
8x10 feet. Is there a simple method of spreading them out evenly over
a space that size -- that is, a simper method that making a zillion
one eighth-inch deep holes and dropping seeds in one-by-one?

Mark

Aye Mark, there is a simpler method. Get yourself a couple pounds of very
fine white sand and mix the seeds WELL with the sand, then broadcast or
sift the sand/seed mix over the area. Don't obsess, naturalized rudbeckia
grows in drifts and clumps anyway.

sue
western Maine

Old 02-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Roy

Some folks mix small tiny seeds in sand but I found corn meal works
good as the density of meal is lighter so the seeds mix in more
readily and the mix stays more consistent.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Frogleg

Afterthought: You'll probably have to thin the seedlings in any case.
Rudbeckias are good-sized plants. 4 per square foot would be a very
thick planting.

Old 02-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Salty Thumb

Frogleg wrote in
:

Suggestions about mixing with sand or cornmeal are meant for making
sure tiny, tiny seeds like carrot don't all end up in a clump, as
they're rather difficult to control with fingers.

I saw some Martha Stewart brand seeds at K-mart that were embedded in a
roll of tape. Just unroll and plant the tape. Might be old news, but I
thought it was interesting. Quite a healthly markup price-wise as well.

Old 02-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Gulph

Both great suggestions. Thanks. I think I'll go with the cornmeal,
since there is a sack of it in the pantry that has gone untouched
since we went on Atkins.

Mark

Old 02-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Sue

"Tyra Trevellyn" wrote in message
From (Gulph)
Both great suggestions. Thanks. I think I'll go with the cornmeal,

(Roy) wrote in message

.. .
Some folks mix small tiny seeds in sand but I found corn meal works
good as the density of meal is lighter so the seeds mix in more
readily and the mix stays more consistent.

Word of warning: do a test first on a wee patch of ground, using only a

small
quantity of seeds in the cornmeal. Squirrels and many birds dote on

cornmeal.
Keep a watch for frantic activity at the spot. If there is any, go the

sand
route.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7

Aye.

Sue

Old 02-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 02 May 2004 15:49:47 GMT, Salty Thumb
wrote:

I saw some Martha Stewart brand seeds at K-mart that were embedded in a
roll of tape. Just unroll and plant the tape. Might be old news, but I
thought it was interesting. Quite a healthly markup price-wise as well.

You can make (or have your kids make) your own seed tape. Here are 3
different recipes.

http://www.boldweb.com/greenweb/g_tape.htm
http://doityourself.com/garden/makingseedtapes.htm
http://www.organicgardening.com/feat...19-643,00.html

Old 03-05-2004, 01:02 AM
Warren

Frogleg wrote:

You can make (or have your kids make) your own seed tape. Here are 3
different recipes.

http://www.boldweb.com/greenweb/g_tape.htm
http://doityourself.com/garden/makingseedtapes.htm
http://www.organicgardening.com/feat...19-643,00.html

Here's another:
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_bulbs_se...378253,00.html

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Spend your Amazon gift certificates he
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/associateshop.html

Old 03-05-2004, 01:03 AM
David Hill

Another method for sowing small seeds thinly is to mix them into Wall paper
past (The old fashioned type that doesn't have fungicide in it), then put
this mixture into a washing up liquid bottle , then all you have to do is to
squeeze out a run of the mixture, this way the seeds will be spaced, and the
paste breaks down very fast in the soil.
You can also pre germinate the seed this way before planting.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 04-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Salty Thumb

"Warren" wrote in

Frogleg wrote:

You can make (or have your kids make) your own seed tape. Here are 3
different recipes.

http://www.boldweb.com/greenweb/g_tape.htm
http://doityourself.com/garden/makingseedtapes.htm
http://www.organicgardening.com/feat...19-643,00.html

Here's another:
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_bulbs_se...TV_3553_137825
3,00.html

Thanks for the ideas (you too eclectic), I'll have to try some of those.

But I will feel funny putting the toilet paper down with the manure.