Old 02-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Pam Moore

Default How bad is tomato blight?

On Sun, 2 May 2004 21:29 +0100 (BST), (Steve Harris)
wrote:

I was listening to GQT today and they were saying how bad tomato blight
is, how susceptible Gardeners Delight is and that they were going to do
trials to find a resistant variety.

Er, I grew Gardeners Delight last summer outdoors with no blight.

Was it just (as they hinted) that last year was exceptional?

Would I be well advised to spray my crop this year every 14 days as a
precaution?

Tomato blight has been bad in many parts of the country for about 5
years now.
Last year I sprayed with Bordeaux mixture but will not bother again.
It covered leaves and fruit with a white powdery film and I had to
wash all fruit before eating.
Blight comes with the rain. We had a long dry summer and I had my
first tomatoes for 4 years, but as soon as the rain came, so did the
blight.
Bob's idea of a "tent" or roof sounds good but I have not tried it.
Good luck tomato growers!

Pam in Bristol