Old 02-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Steve Harris

Default How bad is tomato blight?

I was listening to GQT today and they were saying how bad tomato blight
is, how susceptible Gardeners Delight is and that they were going to do
trials to find a resistant variety.

Er, I grew Gardeners Delight last summer outdoors with no blight.

Was it just (as they hinted) that last year was exceptional?

Would I be well advised to spray my crop this year every 14 days as a
precaution?

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 02-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Emrys Davies

http://tinyurl.com/27p2h

Regards,
Emrys Davies

Old 03-05-2004, 12:05 AM
shazzbat

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
I was listening to GQT today and they were saying how bad tomato blight
is, how susceptible Gardeners Delight is and that they were going to do
trials to find a resistant variety.

Er, I grew Gardeners Delight last summer outdoors with no blight.

Was it just (as they hinted) that last year was exceptional?

Last year was very hot and dry. As I understand it, blight likes damp
conditions.

Steve

Old 03-05-2004, 12:07 PM
John

On Mon, 3 May 2004 07:16:23 +0000 (UTC), "Robert"
wrote:

I am in Plymouth and I have stopped growing tomatoes altogether because the
blight affects my plants so much that it is disheartening and a waste of
time and space. I have tried a couple of sprays but they have little effect
and I don't like spraying anywa

==============================
Robert.
I too live in Plymouth, and whilst I have problems with
growing tomatoes in a greenhouse, it's usually the dreaded 'greenback'
which I undestand is caused through either negligence in shading
or irregular watering (or both?) Over the years I've tried all types
of toms, always in Grobags turrned on their side through 90 degrees,
and sometimes through a bottomless pot, though that doesn't appear
to make all that much difference.

I have a theory that the clean air down here is 'too' clean.
If ypu remember, the garden dividers in the roads used to
be planted with roses, and the carbon monoxides from road
vehicles exhausts appeared to kill off all the bugs.

John.
====================================

Old 03-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Robert

:
: ==============================
: Robert.
: I too live in Plymouth, and whilst I have problems with
: growing tomatoes in a greenhouse, it's usually the dreaded 'greenback'
: which I undestand is caused through either negligence in shading
: or irregular watering (or both?) Over the years I've tried all types
: of toms, always in Grobags turrned on their side through 90 degrees,
: and sometimes through a bottomless pot, though that doesn't appear
: to make all that much difference.
:
: I have a theory that the clean air down here is 'too' clean.
: If ypu remember, the garden dividers in the roads used to
: be planted with roses, and the carbon monoxides from road
: vehicles exhausts appeared to kill off all the bugs.
:
: John.
: ====================================
Yes I remember that the carbon monoxide keeps down blackspot on roses but I
think we are too damp down here and that is why the blight takes hold so
readily. I don't have a green house. I work full time and have two
allotments plus the ornamental house gardens so would not have time for that
as well. I have noticed the blight is getting far worse over the last couple
of years and Bob Flowerdew (GQT) reckons there are new types of blight
coming along. Does blight have an unknown intelligence trying to defeat our
defences lol?!

I am in Stoke, Plymouth; be strange if I knew you

Robert
Argyle are top of the league and we are having a laugh
www.pafc.co.uk

Old 03-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Brian

Tomato blight is the same fungus as Potato blight[P. infestans] and is quite
devastating. It has been around forever. The Irish famine 1848 was due to
this blight.
Bordeaux mixture, or similar, is the only preventative and easily washes
off the fruits. I understand that it is accepted as 'organic'.
Grown under cover~~ greenhouse or cloches, is one way to avoid infection.
Best Wishes Brian.