Old 03-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Rez

Default Deer Resistant Roses

In article , Harvey Schmidlapp wrote:
We have one rose that thinks it's a dagger factory, you can slice
yourself but good if you're not VERY careful, and that doesn't stop
the Starving Attack Rabbits from climbing on it trying to get at the
blossoms. Had to put rabbit-proof fence around it til it got tall
enough that most of the bush is out of their reach.

A fenced yard and a large dog that's outdoors all the time will usually
do the trick. That's not always an option, however.

I have 40 Labradors and this doesn't discourage the rabbits at all
(and a friend with a dozen dogs has videotape of deer jumping her
8' tall fence and running thru the yard!) -- I did just pick up a
couple feral cats and hopefully they will help, assuming they don't
get eaten by owls or coyotes -- who in SoCal must subsist mainly on
cats, since they certainly aren't putting a dent in the rabbits!

~REZ~