Old 03-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Sacha

Default Jersey Royal seed potatoes

martin3/5/04 12:01

On Sun, 02 May 2004 17:56:49 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

snip

Very interesting, Brian and thank you. But it makes you wonder why Jersey
farmers didn't burn seaweed in situ 'time past' instead of carting it by the
ton, literally. Perhaps our tidal flow is too extreme to permit firepits on
the beaches!

Bladder rack and kelp soon dry out and then loose most of their
weight.

They do but not that quickly! Farmers cart it straight from the beach and
often still streaming with water. I seem to remember the site I posted the
link to said that the farmers like the iodine in the seaweed because it
sterilised the land the cows graze on.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)