Old 02-05-2004, 12:05 PM
George Bray

Default Jersey Royal seed potatoes

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...
Try mail order then....

http://potatoes.thompson-morgan.com/...st/full-list/3

http://www.suttons-seeds.co.uk/index2.html?

Thank you for these links. But why are seed potatoes so expensive? And
how can anyone be so sure that they are more disease-free than spuds
bought in the shops? I think I'll take my chance with Jersey Royals
from the shops.

Regards
George
Old 02-05-2004, 04:13 PM
Mike Lyle

(George Bray) wrote in message . com...
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...
Try mail order then....

http://potatoes.thompson-morgan.com/...st/full-list/3

http://www.suttons-seeds.co.uk/index2.html?

Thank you for these links. But why are seed potatoes so expensive? And
how can anyone be so sure that they are more disease-free than spuds
bought in the shops? I think I'll take my chance with Jersey Royals
from the shops.

My take on it is that certified sets come from cool windy places where
infection is low, but this could be wrong these days, with all the
spraying.

I think you'd happily get away with one season of potatoes from the
greengrocer or supermarket, as I've done it several times; but I'd
hesitate to use any of the crop for seed.

Mike.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:08 PM
Brian

Iodine can be extracted from seaweeds. I understood that the burning of
seaweed was to reduce the volume for transport. None of the minerals should
have been destroyed. The bulk that was incinerated could be easily replaced
from peat or straw. This would have been an early attempt at fertilisers as
opposed to bulk manures.
By burning, the bulk is reduced to 1lb from 1 ton!!~~with loss of only
the carbohydrates.
Best Wishes. Brian.
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
Sacha wrote in message

.uk...
martin1/5/04 11:00

On Sat, 01 May 2004 09:55:30 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

martin1/5/04 7:58

[...]
I remember watching a BBC archeology program about Scotland where

they
showed ancient pits where seaweed was burnt before being used on the
land. Is this what they do in the C.I.?

No, they just spread it on 'neat'. It rots down through the winter.

We wondered if anybody ever burnt it. We couldn't see the point.

Perhaps they thought the salt had to be burned off? I don't understand

that
at all because you'd think they'd realise that burning also burned away

the
nutrients. Are we sure these weren't just huge fireplaces for ceilidh
nights? ;-)

[...]

Isn't there some industrial process for which seaweed has to be burnt?
(I don't think they'd invented soap yet; certainly not gunpowder!)
And, for crops, burning it would give you the potash in a more
portable form, which may have been a factor at the time.

Mike.

Old 02-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Brian

I would have thought that Jersey was small enough to transport the seaweed
and to retain the humus. Also it is very unlikely that they had the peat or
straw to replace that burnt. Scotland is a vast country.
Many thanks for all of your contributions. They are always pertinent and
don't 'wander' as some of us others.
Did you ever discover the name of the Ribes?
I recently saw the most beautiful, totally double, shell pink Vinca.
Compact and covered in bloom. So different that I had to swallow and ask
what it was!! But then I had not got very close so I forgave myself. I'm
very good at that!!
We used to be able to buy seaweed locally [subsidised] at ten tons per
acre and the potatoes were very different. Beetroot even more so but that
can be imitated by a sprinkle of salt around the seedlings.
Thanks and Best Wishes. Brian. 'flayb' to respond.
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Brian2/5/04 5:11

Iodine can be extracted from seaweeds. I understood that the burning of
seaweed was to reduce the volume for transport. None of the minerals

should
have been destroyed. The bulk that was incinerated could be easily

replaced
from peat or straw. This would have been an early attempt at fertilisers

as
opposed to bulk manures.
By burning, the bulk is reduced to 1lb from 1 ton!!~~with loss of only
the carbohydrates.

snip

Very interesting, Brian and thank you. But it makes you wonder why Jersey
farmers didn't burn seaweed in situ 'time past' instead of carting it by

the
ton, literally. Perhaps our tidal flow is too extreme to permit firepits

on
the beaches!

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 02-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Brian

Scottish seed potatoes are world renowned. As Janet suggests a lot of care
is taken in their production during a relatively short growing season. The
cropping is nowhere near the 20 tons per acre possible in England.
They are also graded to be 'egg' size and sorted by hand to remove any
with the slightest damage. Their profit per acre is not that great.
Our industry could not survive without this Scottish contribution.
Best Wishes Brian. [ With a cold~~ my nose running and feet probably
smelling! Was born upside down?!!]
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from (George Bray) contains these words:

But why are seed potatoes so expensive?

And
how can anyone be so sure that they are more disease-free than spuds
bought in the shops?

Seed-potatoes are produced by registered growers and are certified
disease free. You pay more for a higher standard.

Janet.

Old 03-05-2004, 12:05 AM
martin

On Sun, 02 May 2004 17:56:49 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Brian2/5/04 5:11

Iodine can be extracted from seaweeds. I understood that the burning of
seaweed was to reduce the volume for transport. None of the minerals should
have been destroyed. The bulk that was incinerated could be easily replaced
from peat or straw. This would have been an early attempt at fertilisers as
opposed to bulk manures.
By burning, the bulk is reduced to 1lb from 1 ton!!~~with loss of only
the carbohydrates.

snip

Very interesting, Brian and thank you. But it makes you wonder why Jersey
farmers didn't burn seaweed in situ 'time past' instead of carting it by the
ton, literally. Perhaps our tidal flow is too extreme to permit firepits on
the beaches!

Bladder rack and kelp soon dry out and then loose most of their
weight.