Old 03-05-2004, 12:07 PM
John

Default How bad is tomato blight?

On Mon, 3 May 2004 07:16:23 +0000 (UTC), "Robert"
wrote:

I am in Plymouth and I have stopped growing tomatoes altogether because the
blight affects my plants so much that it is disheartening and a waste of
time and space. I have tried a couple of sprays but they have little effect
and I don't like spraying anywa

==============================
Robert.
I too live in Plymouth, and whilst I have problems with
growing tomatoes in a greenhouse, it's usually the dreaded 'greenback'
which I undestand is caused through either negligence in shading
or irregular watering (or both?) Over the years I've tried all types
of toms, always in Grobags turrned on their side through 90 degrees,
and sometimes through a bottomless pot, though that doesn't appear
to make all that much difference.

I have a theory that the clean air down here is 'too' clean.
If ypu remember, the garden dividers in the roads used to
be planted with roses, and the carbon monoxides from road
vehicles exhausts appeared to kill off all the bugs.

John.