Old 03-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Robert

Default How bad is tomato blight?

John wrote:
: On Mon, 3 May 2004 07:16:23 +0000 (UTC), "Robert"
: wrote:
:
:: I am in Plymouth and I have stopped growing tomatoes altogether
:: because the blight affects my plants so much that it is
:: disheartening and a waste of time and space. I have tried a couple
:: of sprays but they have little effect and I don't like spraying anywa
: ==============================
: Robert.
: I too live in Plymouth, and whilst I have problems with
: growing tomatoes in a greenhouse, it's usually the dreaded 'greenback'
: which I undestand is caused through either negligence in shading
: or irregular watering (or both?) Over the years I've tried all types
: of toms, always in Grobags turrned on their side through 90 degrees,
: and sometimes through a bottomless pot, though that doesn't appear
: to make all that much difference.
:
: I have a theory that the clean air down here is 'too' clean.
: If ypu remember, the garden dividers in the roads used to
: be planted with roses, and the carbon monoxides from road
: vehicles exhausts appeared to kill off all the bugs.
:
: John.
: ====================================
Yes I remember that the carbon monoxide keeps down blackspot on roses but I
think we are too damp down here and that is why the blight takes hold so
readily. I don't have a green house. I work full time and have two
allotments plus the ornamental house gardens so would not have time for that
as well. I have noticed the blight is getting far worse over the last couple
of years and Bob Flowerdew (GQT) reckons there are new types of blight
coming along. Does blight have an unknown intelligence trying to defeat our
defences lol?!

I am in Stoke, Plymouth; be strange if I knew you

Robert
Argyle are top of the league and we are having a laugh
www.pafc.co.uk