Old 03-05-2004, 04:03 PM
M.Paul

Default Japanese Maple Volunteer

I have raised a bunch of volunteers from my neighbor's tree.

I've had the best success keeping them in a mostly shaded (only filtered
sunlight) location. For the first year I recommend keeping the soil moist -
they don't react well to drying out. Initially I plant 4 or so of them in a
1gal container. Then after the first year I give the ones that survive
their own 1gal container. After the first year they are very hardy, but I
stake them to keep them upright.

There are many different varieties of Japanese Maples, so YMMV.
Good luck.

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
s.com...
My neighbor has a J. Maple, and every year about this time (Mid-Atlantic),

find some tiny little volunteers in the lawn and flower beds.

Can I pot these, or even plant them, and hope that they'll grow into a
healthy specimen?

Any tips on the right procedure, root conditioner, fertilizer, etc would

be
appreciated.