Old 03-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Phisherman

Default plant before or after rain?

On Mon, 03 May 2004 13:38:35 GMT, "Laura J"
wrote:

I finally have my first garden put together and am ready to plant my first
seeds (beets, arugula and peas). We're supposed to get rain pretty much all
week. If I plant the seeds now, are they going to wash away? Is it better
to plant before or after a rainstorm? It's a raised bed garden with peat
moss, compost and a little vermiculite so it should have good drainage.

Thanks also to everyone who answered my last question regarding the
vermiculite. In the end, I just bought 2 of the small bags and raked them
in. I definitely thing that making it 1/3 of the mix would have been
overkill.

LauraJ
Zone 6a (Boston, MA)

It's a bad idea to go into the garden when the ground is wet. The
best time to plant seed is in dry ground just before it rains. They
may wash away if your garden is on a slope.