Old 03-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Laura J

Default plant before or after rain?

I finally have my first garden put together and am ready to plant my first
seeds (beets, arugula and peas). We're supposed to get rain pretty much all
week. If I plant the seeds now, are they going to wash away? Is it better
to plant before or after a rainstorm? It's a raised bed garden with peat
moss, compost and a little vermiculite so it should have good drainage.

Thanks also to everyone who answered my last question regarding the
vermiculite. In the end, I just bought 2 of the small bags and raked them
in. I definitely thing that making it 1/3 of the mix would have been
overkill.

LauraJ
Zone 6a (Boston, MA)

Old 03-05-2004, 04:03 PM
dps

Around here (Boston) the spring rains are generally fairly light to
moderate, so plant now. The rain will help to water in the seeds and
start them germinating.

If we were going to have a really heavy rain the seeds might wash out.
Look out for "thunderstorms" as keywords in the weather forecast.
Generally more of a problem later in the summer.

If they wash out, just plant them again. It's still early enough. Seeds
are fairly cheap. The arugula and beets (and many other common garden
veggies) you should plan on doing a second or even third planting later
in the year anyway (2-4 week intervals). If you like your beets really
big, just plant a lot now. If you like beet leaves, do several plantings
so you have a more consistent supply of small tender leaves. My arugula
tends to go to seed after a while, so I do several plantings so there
are always some young plants to chose from.

Old 03-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Phisherman

On Mon, 03 May 2004 13:38:35 GMT, "Laura J"
wrote:

I finally have my first garden put together and am ready to plant my first
seeds (beets, arugula and peas). We're supposed to get rain pretty much all
week. If I plant the seeds now, are they going to wash away? Is it better
to plant before or after a rainstorm? It's a raised bed garden with peat
moss, compost and a little vermiculite so it should have good drainage.

Thanks also to everyone who answered my last question regarding the
vermiculite. In the end, I just bought 2 of the small bags and raked them
in. I definitely thing that making it 1/3 of the mix would have been
overkill.

LauraJ
Zone 6a (Boston, MA)

It's a bad idea to go into the garden when the ground is wet. The
best time to plant seed is in dry ground just before it rains. They
may wash away if your garden is on a slope.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Michelle

I do it before hand no trouble usually as long as the rain isn't a
trerenchal down pour washing the little bugers away.
gentle rain is best just soaking the soil slowly try to do it when the
rain is supposed the be gentle
if not just water gently every day to keep moist soil but not soaking
good luck

Old 04-05-2004, 07:03 PM
simy1

"Laura J" wrote in message ...
I finally have my first garden put together and am ready to plant my first
seeds (beets, arugula and peas). We're supposed to get rain pretty much all
week. If I plant the seeds now, are they going to wash away? Is it better
to plant before or after a rainstorm? It's a raised bed garden with peat
moss, compost and a little vermiculite so it should have good drainage.

Thanks also to everyone who answered my last question regarding the
vermiculite. In the end, I just bought 2 of the small bags and raked them
in. I definitely thing that making it 1/3 of the mix would have been
overkill.

LauraJ
Zone 6a (Boston, MA)

I have sandy soil and flat raised beds. In my case before the rain is
a far better option, and actually I adjust my schedule to plant just
before it rains. If I broadcast seeds, the through soaking a rain
provides gets them off to a good start. For seedlings, a couple of
rainy days are even better as the temperature does not fluctuate much,
the UV index is minimal, and the soaking gives the rootlets a boost.

Old 16-05-2004, 02:02 AM
Rose

I live in the Philadelphia area (well actually just outside it in Montgomery
County) and I try my best to plant before the rain - but here's a suggestion
for you - its something I do and I'm sure a lot of others do the same thing - I
save the rainwater and use it to water my garden with. I live around a few
gardeners and they tell me that rainwater is the best that you can use.

Rose
http://members.aol.com/Roseb44170/home.html
"How did I ever get talked into this?"
Old 16-05-2004, 05:03 AM
nswong

Hi Rose,

save the rainwater and use it to water my garden with. I live

around a few
gardeners and they tell me that rainwater is the best that you can

use.

Water from main pipe contain chlorine, this will harm soil life.

Regards,
Wong

--
Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m