Old 03-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Sacha

Default Planting a clematis - should I cut it back first?

GR3/5/04 4:50
c94rtk5ld80hkhvl45k4ta@4ax
..com

It's a Macropetala Maidwell Hall. The tag attached to it says "any
aspect, no pruning" - so does that mean I literally never have to go
near it with secateurs once it's planted? Or does it just mean that it
doesn't need pruning to be encouraged to grow, but I can cut it back
to keep it tidy?

If I'm correct, this type flowers on the previous season's shoots so pruning
isn't desirable, except to keep it tidy and out of your windows, gutters,
etc. ;-) If you need to prune it, take out a bit here and there but not
ALL of it (unless it's in the gutters etc) then you'll have some shoots left
to flower next year.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)