Old 03-05-2004, 03:05 AM
GR

Default Planting a clematis - should I cut it back first?

I've just been bought my very first clematis, and it's in bloom (well,
about four flowers are open). Am I supposed to cut it right back once
it's planted, or should I just leave it?

GR
Old 03-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Tumbleweed

"GR" wrote in message
I've just been bought my very first clematis, and it's in bloom (well,
about four flowers are open). Am I supposed to cut it right back once
it's planted, or should I just leave it?

GR

It very much depends what sort it is.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 03-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Sacha

GR3/5/04 2:12
03ucsonqn7drilmuegtfe5@4ax
..com

I've just been bought my very first clematis, and it's in bloom (well,
about four flowers are open). Am I supposed to cut it right back once
it's planted, or should I just leave it?

If it's in bloom, it won't expect to be cut back while it's performing for
you - it's waited all year for this moment of glory! ;-) All you're going
to do is transfer it from one 'bed' (the pot) to another, so don't cut it.
Plant it, water it, keep the root run cool with a piece of slate or stone or
the shelter of another shrub and let it 'do its own thing'. If planting it
against a house wall, keep the roots about 2' out from the wall so that they
aren't in the rain shadow of the house gutters. And don't let it dry out
because Clematis don't like to be too dry.
Find out what it is, either in terms of its name or its type and then the
many here that grow Clematis will be able to tell you when, how and if to
prune it.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-05-2004, 05:05 PM
GR

It's a Macropetala Maidwell Hall. The tag attached to it says "any
aspect, no pruning" - so does that mean I literally never have to go
near it with secateurs once it's planted? Or does it just mean that it
doesn't need pruning to be encouraged to grow, but I can cut it back
to keep it tidy?
Old 03-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Sacha

GR3/5/04 4:50
c94rtk5ld80hkhvl45k4ta@4ax
..com

It's a Macropetala Maidwell Hall. The tag attached to it says "any
aspect, no pruning" - so does that mean I literally never have to go
near it with secateurs once it's planted? Or does it just mean that it
doesn't need pruning to be encouraged to grow, but I can cut it back
to keep it tidy?

If I'm correct, this type flowers on the previous season's shoots so pruning
isn't desirable, except to keep it tidy and out of your windows, gutters,
etc. ;-) If you need to prune it, take out a bit here and there but not
ALL of it (unless it's in the gutters etc) then you'll have some shoots left
to flower next year.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 03-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Tumbleweed
writes

"GR" wrote in message
.. .
I've just been bought my very first clematis, and it's in bloom (well,
about four flowers are open). Am I supposed to cut it right back once
it's planted, or should I just leave it?

GR

It very much depends what sort it is.

Well, if it's in flower now, it's one of the spring flowering ones, and
they are OK left unpruned, aren't they?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 04-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Rachel Sullivan

In article , Kay Easton
writes
In article , Tumbleweed
writes

"GR" wrote in message
. ..
I've just been bought my very first clematis, and it's in bloom (well,
about four flowers are open). Am I supposed to cut it right back once
it's planted, or should I just leave it?

It very much depends what sort it is.

Well, if it's in flower now, it's one of the spring flowering ones, and
they are OK left unpruned, aren't they?

Yes, they are. You can tidy 'em up when they've finished flowering if
you feel they need it, (so May/June-ish for this one when it gets big
enough). The growth produced during the rest of the summer is what it
will flower on next year - so if you prune in autumn, you'll have no
flowers.

This group 1 pruning applies to armandii, cirrhosa & other evergreens,
alpina, macropetala, koreana and montana - things that flower between
February and May (roughly speaking).
--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site

Wisley Cream Clematis - When to cut back? Peter Hemmings United Kingdom 3 18-02-2004 05:41 PM
To cut or not to cut ? Allen Lai Lawns 4 31-10-2003 11:22 PM
Should tall bearded iris foliage be cut back in fall? Pelvis Popcan Gardening 2 10-08-2003 01:22 AM
To cut or not to cut .... Allen Lai Lawns 9 12-06-2003 04:56 AM
equisetum (horsetails) - should I cut it back Art M Gardening 0 24-03-2003 05:56 AM