Old 04-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Martin Brown

Default Greenhouse Glass Safety Question

In message , Mike
writes

"Rich" wrote in message

I bought a small Aluminium/glass greenhouse about 8 years ago for a fairly
small back garden, and I get a lot of enjoyment from it. But I now have a

4
year old daughter, and I'm worried abou8t the safety aspect.

Can you buy safety film for green house glass ? if so, where ?

Probably, but I would expect it to be expensive and suffer from UV
damage in an outdoor environment.

If not, any suggestions ?

Best bet is 1" chicken wire to 4-5' high on a simple stand off wooden
frame. As a youngster I got away with running through a greenhouse
window, but the glass could just as easily have caused me serious
damage.

Don't worry other than explain that glass breaks and can cut.

We have had four children grow up with a greenhouse and now a grandson
without any problem at all. (Except when son sent his go-cart into a pane
and broke it. He was not on the go cart at the time) Grandson has always had
a fascination with the greenhouse, on the plant side and in Gran's big
plastic trays where there are roads to be made in the sand :-))

You cannot molly coddle your children all the time.

Although that is true. Broken shards of glass (especially horticultural
grade) can be a serious hazard to young children playing tag games. You
need something to make sure they cannot slam a limb through a greenhouse
window by accident. Hitting chicken wire at speed will sting but does no
permanent damage.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown