Old 01-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Rich

Default Greenhouse Glass Safety Question

Hi ,

I bought a small Aluminium/glass greenhouse about 8 years ago for a fairly
small back garden, and I get a lot of enjoyment from it. But I now have a 4
year old daughter, and I'm worried abou8t the safety aspect.

Can you buy safety film for green house glass ? if so, where ?

If not, any suggestions ?

Rich
------------------------
http://www.sh0pz.com
The UK's one stop online shopping centre

Old 01-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Henry

"Rich" wrote in message
Hi ,

I bought a small Aluminium/glass greenhouse about 8 years ago for a fairly
small back garden, and I get a lot of enjoyment from it. But I now have a

4
year old daughter, and I'm worried abou8t the safety aspect.

Can you buy safety film for green house glass ? if so, where ?

If not, any suggestions ?

Rich
------------------------
http://www.sh0pz.com
The UK's one stop online shopping centre

go to

http://www.filmtek.co.uk/

The Product then Safety Regulation 14

dj

Old 01-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Mike

"Rich" wrote in message
Hi ,

I bought a small Aluminium/glass greenhouse about 8 years ago for a fairly
small back garden, and I get a lot of enjoyment from it. But I now have a

4
year old daughter, and I'm worried abou8t the safety aspect.

Can you buy safety film for green house glass ? if so, where ?

If not, any suggestions ?

Rich
------------------------
Don't worry other than explain that glass breaks and can cut.

We have had four children grow up with a greenhouse and now a grandson
without any problem at all. (Except when son sent his go-cart into a pane
and broke it. He was not on the go cart at the time) Grandson has always had
a fascination with the greenhouse, on the plant side and in Gran's big
plastic trays where there are roads to be made in the sand :-))

You cannot molly coddle your children all the time.

Mike

Old 01-05-2004, 10:10 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Rich
writes
I bought a small Aluminium/glass greenhouse about 8 years ago for a
fairly small back garden, and I get a lot of enjoyment from it. But I
now have a 4 year old daughter, and I'm worried abou8t the safety
aspect.

Can you buy safety film for green house glass ? if so, where ?

Mothercare sell Glass Safety Film, see http://tinyurl.com/ywotv

Not sure how light-transmitting it is though I'd've thought that was a
secondary concern?

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 01-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Rich
writes
Hi ,

I bought a small Aluminium/glass greenhouse about 8 years ago for a fairly
small back garden, and I get a lot of enjoyment from it. But I now have a 4
year old daughter, and I'm worried abou8t the safety aspect.

Can you buy safety film for green house glass ? if so, where ?

You used to be able to get it from Mothercare.

If not, any suggestions ?

A fence. Basically just enough so that if she falls against it she's not
going to go through the glass. It probably doesn't have to last more
than 4 or 5 years.

Or a barrier of bushes - would need to be quite thick.

Don't worry about the shade - the light through the roof of the
greenhouse is the most important.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 01-05-2004, 11:07 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , "dave @ stejonda"
writes
In message , Rich
writes
I bought a small Aluminium/glass greenhouse about 8 years ago for a
fairly small back garden, and I get a lot of enjoyment from it. But I
now have a 4 year old daughter, and I'm worried abou8t the safety aspect.

Can you buy safety film for green house glass ? if so, where ?

Mothercare sell Glass Safety Film, see http://tinyurl.com/ywotv

oh

That link worked when I checked it but not now - just put 'glass' in
their search box...

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 03-05-2004, 10:09 PM
phil

We've got a similar green house and a four year old and six year old.
weve gone for a combination of pop tins on top of garden canes round the
perimeter, which rattle nicely if they get to close and old fashioned
shouting about the dangers of glass.
Sound like my grandad!
regards
phil

Old 04-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Martin Brown

In message , Mike
writes

"Rich" wrote in message

I bought a small Aluminium/glass greenhouse about 8 years ago for a fairly
small back garden, and I get a lot of enjoyment from it. But I now have a

4
year old daughter, and I'm worried abou8t the safety aspect.

Can you buy safety film for green house glass ? if so, where ?

Probably, but I would expect it to be expensive and suffer from UV
damage in an outdoor environment.

If not, any suggestions ?

Best bet is 1" chicken wire to 4-5' high on a simple stand off wooden
frame. As a youngster I got away with running through a greenhouse
window, but the glass could just as easily have caused me serious
damage.

Don't worry other than explain that glass breaks and can cut.

We have had four children grow up with a greenhouse and now a grandson
without any problem at all. (Except when son sent his go-cart into a pane
and broke it. He was not on the go cart at the time) Grandson has always had
a fascination with the greenhouse, on the plant side and in Gran's big
plastic trays where there are roads to be made in the sand :-))

You cannot molly coddle your children all the time.

Although that is true. Broken shards of glass (especially horticultural
grade) can be a serious hazard to young children playing tag games. You
need something to make sure they cannot slam a limb through a greenhouse
window by accident. Hitting chicken wire at speed will sting but does no
permanent damage.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 07-05-2004, 09:04 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Martin Brown
writes
"Rich" wrote in message

I bought a small Aluminium/glass greenhouse about 8 years ago for a fairly
small back garden, and I get a lot of enjoyment from it. But I now have a

4
year old daughter, and I'm worried abou8t the safety aspect.

Can you buy safety film for green house glass ? if so, where ?

Probably, but I would expect it to be expensive and suffer from UV
damage in an outdoor environment.

The Mothercare plastic film has been attached to the lower glass in our
lean-to for 12 years and still looks in perfect condition - not
degraded at all (bubbles still present where I imperfectly fitted it
too).

As a youngster I got away with running through a greenhouse window, but
the glass could just as easily have caused me serious damage.

To discover what damage the glass in a greenhouse can do I recommend
reading a book called the The Greehouse by Susan Hillmore - a
wonderfully gothic tale of a greenhouse with strong family ties.

--
dave @ stejonda