Old 04-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Iris Cohen

Default [IBC] Nursery stock and circling/intertwined roots

I have purchased a number of nursery plants this year and have found that as
I get into the process of combing out the roots - they are an absolute mess.

My sympathies. I have had the same problem not only with nursery trees and
collected trees, but even trees from reputable bonsai nurseries. Straightening
out the roots when they repot is labor intensive & not cost effective. See
Julian Adams' article in a recent issue of International Bonsai.
The only thing you can do is start by overpotting in a large training pot that
will accommodate the roots. Some of them will stick up. Prune the mess off a
little at a time. Repot yearly & gradually work the roots down. With conifers
it will take longer than fast growing broad leafed trees like maples. The worst
problem is when you have a few large roots with big gaps in between. If you
can't convince the tree to grow new roots, you will have to get grafts from
somewhere.

Saturday I spent over 2 hours trying to comb the roots out on a Mugo pine.

You may have killed it. You can't do that to a pine tree. You have to
straighten the roots out very gradually, always leaving some of the original
soil.

I believe someone else mentioned a similar problem with a Hillier Elm not
too long ago.

I had a 'Jacqueline Hillier' elm from Iseli Nursery where the root ball was as
solid as a rock. I finally had to saw it apart. By some miracle, the tree is
still alive in its bonsai pot, but there is a mass of surface roots which will
have to stay until the next repotting.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."