Old 04-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Bill Tschumy

Default Mosquito Magnet

On Mon, 3 May 2004 19:40:46 -0500, Chris wrote
(in article ):

Has anyone tried this product? It's pricey but comes with rave reviews
including from the military. With my poorly-installed underground drainage
of my roof downspouts every summer we get deluged by mosquitoes. With a new
dog that has to go outside a couple of times a day and West Nile set to take
over, I'm considering shelling out the cash. However, I'd love to have a
local person's opinion, good or bad, first.

Thanks,
Chris

Here is something a friend in Austin wrote me a Mosquito Magnet:

We have the 3/4 acre coverage Mosquito Magnet -- bought
when first released through the Frontgate catalog, since I am
a prime mosquito magnet myself. After almost two years
experience, I would say it is successful in keeping the
mosquito population under control. The version we have
does not use an alternating current power source (AC), but I
think I would buy one of those if buying now, because it is
cheaper and should work as well. Of course, you need to have
AC available with 50-100 feet of the location!

Four points concerning our use: get used to traveling to
Centex Butane on North Lamar every three weeks for propane.
At $12.50 per 20 lb. container, it is much cheaper than Home
Depot. (If anyone reading this has a lower cost provider of
propane, please let me know.) Second, our unit failed
after 16 months (out of warranty) and the manufacturer sent us
a brand new unit. Big points for service! Third, a trusted
local supplier (Breed Hardware) of Mosquito Magnets thinks
that buying the octenol attractants is a waste of money, so we
are trying that approach. The manufacturer recommends
changing the attractant each time you replenish the propane
supply (every three weeks), which adds an extra $2 per week
running cost. We have been out of town for the start of
prime mosquito season, so I can't report the results of not
using the octenol yet. Initially, it seems to be working as
well as using octenol attractant. Finally, a few mosquitos
are still around when using, which can be dealt with easily--
but no cloud of mosquitos. My wife feels that all mosquitos
should be eliminated, so her response to the Mosquito Magnet
is that it is too expensive not to have perfect results. On
the other hand, I am the one who is really bothered by
mosquitos, and I think it is a great thing.

--
Bill Tschumy
Otherwise -- Austin, TX