Old 04-05-2004, 02:09 AM
Chris

Default Mosquito Magnet

Has anyone tried this product? It's pricey but comes with rave reviews
including from the military. With my poorly-installed underground drainage
of my roof downspouts every summer we get deluged by mosquitoes. With a new
dog that has to go outside a couple of times a day and West Nile set to take
over, I'm considering shelling out the cash. However, I'd love to have a
local person's opinion, good or bad, first.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 04-05-2004, 04:07 AM
God Bless Texas

"Chris" wrote in message
Has anyone tried this product? It's pricey but comes with rave reviews
including from the military. With my poorly-installed underground

drainage
of my roof downspouts every summer we get deluged by mosquitoes. With a

new
dog that has to go outside a couple of times a day and West Nile set to

take
over, I'm considering shelling out the cash. However, I'd love to have a
local person's opinion, good or bad, first.

Near as I can tell it's a bug zapper with a slow-leak CO2 tank attached.
When I heard about these, I wondered if I could rig a slow-leak CO2 from a
gas-powered BB gun cartridge, and just lay it in the bottom of a bug zapper
(with a tarp around it, maybe?) and accomplish the same thing.

Old 04-05-2004, 07:05 AM
Chris

"God Bless Texas" wrote in message
"Chris" wrote in message
Has anyone tried this product? It's pricey but comes with rave reviews
including from the military. With my poorly-installed underground

drainage
of my roof downspouts every summer we get deluged by mosquitoes. With a

new
dog that has to go outside a couple of times a day and West Nile set to

take
over, I'm considering shelling out the cash. However, I'd love to have

local person's opinion, good or bad, first.

Near as I can tell it's a bug zapper with a slow-leak CO2 tank attached.
When I heard about these, I wondered if I could rig a slow-leak CO2 from a
gas-powered BB gun cartridge, and just lay it in the bottom of a bug

zapper
(with a tarp around it, maybe?) and accomplish the same thing.

Actually, they are quite more complex than that. Do a search and some
reading. The govnment used these to clear off some uninhabitable land in
the Bahamas once capturing some insane amount of mosquitos in the process.
Some people report having fantastic results but the price of the units make
me a little gunshy. That's why I'd love some personal notes on their usage
around the austin area.
Chris

Old 04-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Rusty Mase

On Tue, 04 May 2004 05:24:26 GMT, "Chris" wrote:

That's why I'd love some personal notes on their usage
around the austin area.

There was some discussion of this earlier on this NG and someone
brought up the effectiveness of these devices based on the types of
mosquitos you have to get rid off. The coastal types may have been
more susceptible to the carbon dioxide bait than the more inland
types.

I do not think this issue was resolved and it suggests some more
investigation of the matter. As it was left, these may work better in
Galveston than they would in Austin. So we need some responses from
folks who use these.

Rusty Mase
Old 04-05-2004, 01:05 PM
John T. Jarrett

Maybe try rec.gardens and ask people to mention whether they are
coastal or inland?

Here's the Austin thread Rusty mentioned: http://tinyurl.com/2shhl

And a rec.gardens list: http://tinyurl.com/32r8d

Also try searching by "mosquito deleto" as that seems to be a popular
brand...

John

Old 04-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Bill Tschumy

On Mon, 3 May 2004 19:40:46 -0500, Chris wrote
(in article ):

Has anyone tried this product? It's pricey but comes with rave reviews
including from the military. With my poorly-installed underground drainage
of my roof downspouts every summer we get deluged by mosquitoes. With a new
dog that has to go outside a couple of times a day and West Nile set to take
over, I'm considering shelling out the cash. However, I'd love to have a
local person's opinion, good or bad, first.

Thanks,
Chris

Here is something a friend in Austin wrote me a Mosquito Magnet:

We have the 3/4 acre coverage Mosquito Magnet -- bought
when first released through the Frontgate catalog, since I am
a prime mosquito magnet myself. After almost two years
experience, I would say it is successful in keeping the
mosquito population under control. The version we have
does not use an alternating current power source (AC), but I
think I would buy one of those if buying now, because it is
cheaper and should work as well. Of course, you need to have
AC available with 50-100 feet of the location!

Four points concerning our use: get used to traveling to
Centex Butane on North Lamar every three weeks for propane.
At $12.50 per 20 lb. container, it is much cheaper than Home
Depot. (If anyone reading this has a lower cost provider of
propane, please let me know.) Second, our unit failed
after 16 months (out of warranty) and the manufacturer sent us
a brand new unit. Big points for service! Third, a trusted
local supplier (Breed Hardware) of Mosquito Magnets thinks
that buying the octenol attractants is a waste of money, so we
are trying that approach. The manufacturer recommends
changing the attractant each time you replenish the propane
supply (every three weeks), which adds an extra $2 per week
running cost. We have been out of town for the start of
prime mosquito season, so I can't report the results of not
using the octenol yet. Initially, it seems to be working as
well as using octenol attractant. Finally, a few mosquitos
are still around when using, which can be dealt with easily--
but no cloud of mosquitos. My wife feels that all mosquitos
should be eliminated, so her response to the Mosquito Magnet
is that it is too expensive not to have perfect results. On
the other hand, I am the one who is really bothered by
mosquitos, and I think it is a great thing.

--
Bill Tschumy
Otherwise -- Austin, TX

Old 05-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Bob

"Rusty Mase" wrote in message

There was some discussion of this earlier on this NG and someone
brought up the effectiveness of these devices based on the types of
mosquitos you have to get rid off. The coastal types may have been
more susceptible to the carbon dioxide bait than the more inland
types.

I do not think this issue was resolved and it suggests some more
investigation of the matter. As it was left, these may work better in
Galveston than they would in Austin. So we need some responses from
folks who use these.

Rusty Mase

There was a good deal of discussion about this on NG
alt.consumer.experience.

The general feeling there ended up being that they work somewhat, but are
not worth the money.

Bob

Old 09-05-2004, 08:06 PM
J Kolenovsky

Good! The stuff is probably not good for caterpillars, butterfly larvae
and butterflies.

JK

Bob wrote:
=

There was a good deal of discussion about this on NG
alt.consumer.experience.
=

The general feeling there ended up being that they work somewhat, but a=

re
not worth the money.
=

Bob

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - business. Quoted by the Ho=
uston
Chronicle Lazy Gardener as 1 of 7 best gardening websites in Houston.
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 16-05-2004, 04:11 AM
J Kolenovsky

This article was good -

May 1, 2003
MANY MOSQUITO CONTROLS ONLY HAMMER BUYER=92S POCKETBOOK
Writer: Robert Burns (903) 834-6191,
Source: Dr. Jimmy Olson (979) 845-5037,

OVERTON =96 When it comes to mosquito control devices, about the only
thing
that works is common sense, says an entomologist with Texas A&M
University.

snip

"What's particularly disturbing to Olson are the pesticide misting
devices
now on the market. There are several models, but they generally work by
emitting small puffs of the insecticides at timed intervals around a
house's
perimeter. The devices are expensive, costing as much as $5,000, and
their
effectiveness is suspect. Worse is the amount of pesticide they release
into
the environment over time and the possibility of inhalation by residents
and
the drift of the pesticide to other properties."

"It's about the most indiscriminate, irresponsible use of a chemical
control
that I've ever seen," Olson said.

Full article:
http://agnews.tamu.edu/dailynews/sto...O/May0103a.htm

Mike Quinn, New Braunfels, TX,

=

Old 16-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Chris

That is a good article. Thanks.
Chris

"J Kolenovsky" wrote in message
This article was good -

May 1, 2003
MANY MOSQUITO CONTROLS ONLY HAMMER BUYER'S POCKETBOOK
Writer: Robert Burns (903) 834-6191,
Source: Dr. Jimmy Olson (979) 845-5037,

OVERTON - When it comes to mosquito control devices, about the only

Chris wrote:

Has anyone tried this product? It's pricey but comes with rave reviews
including from the military. With my poorly-installed underground

drainage
of my roof downspouts every summer we get deluged by mosquitoes. With a

new
dog that has to go outside a couple of times a day and West Nile set to

take
over, I'm considering shelling out the cash. However, I'd love to have a
local person's opinion, good or bad, first.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky