Old 05-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Glenna Rose

Default Q: small white insects on kumquat tree. Do I have to worry?

writes:

Believe me, Santa Clara=Whitefly city... I love Safers, but the damn
things fly away.
To me, when it comes to a pesticide, I prefer not to use anything, but
if you have a major infestation, and it's not only going to affect
you, but all your neighbors, you may as well either go ahead and use
pesticides and throw away the fruit (if you're of that mind), or cut
down/pull up the offending plant (I'd be hesitant with a tree)... if
thine eye offend thee... because the whiteflies are more or less going
to destroy your crop anyway if you don't get them under control.
Does Safers make a bulk container or one that can be hooked up to a
hose, do you know? I've never looked.

A couple of years ago, some came in on a fuschia basket. They spread very
quickly and very completely. Fortunately, I got rid of them. It may have
been the ladybugs I turned loose. Also, I leave some of the wasp nests
alone near the garden. Perhaps one or the other ate them. It could also
have been the birds which I encourage that could have gotten them.
Whoever/whatever it was, they were gone after a few weeks. I still thank
all that is good that they disappeared; I was very, very lucky!

Glenna