Old 03-05-2004, 07:03 PM
S.V.Proff

Default Q: small white insects on kumquat tree. Do I have to worry?

I noticed that my kumquat tree has a bunch of small white insects on
it. They fly when I pass by or shake the branches. So far the tree
looks healthy.

Should I worry?

If it matters, I am in Santa Clara California.

Sam
(My e-mail is spam-proofed, please post your responses here.)
Old 05-05-2004, 04:04 AM
Janice

On 3 May 2004 10:22:25 -0700, (S.V.Proff) wrote:

I noticed that my kumquat tree has a bunch of small white insects on
it. They fly when I pass by or shake the branches. So far the tree
looks healthy.

Should I worry?

If it matters, I am in Santa Clara California.

Sam
(My e-mail is spam-proofed, please post your responses here.)

Sounds like white fly, which aren't good. Could be winged aphids too,
but they're not so easily stirred. You can try removing them with a
strong stream of water to dislodge them and hopefully water log them
and knock them off. However if this is an infestation, then that
would be something that has many approaches depending on your personal
feelings about pesticides. Safer insecticidal soap works on most soft
bodied insects, but catch some put them in a small bottle and take
them to your local county agricultural extension agency and the master
gardener program there. Or to a garden shop that is more than home
depot or lowes, an actual year round nursery where someone will know
something.. for identification and what they recommend to rid the
plant of them.

It's better for you and your tree for you to take the pest in for sure
identification than for all of us guessing at what you have. I'm in
Idaho, so I'd have no way of knowing what sort of pests you have in
your milder climate, but a lot more than here I'd imagine since they
don't get frozen each winter.

Let us know what it was!

Janice
Old 05-05-2004, 04:04 AM
belly

On Tue, 04 May 2004 20:25:16 -0600 in
, Janice
graced the world with this
thought:

[...]

Believe me, Santa Clara=Whitefly city... I love Safers, but the damn
things fly away.
To me, when it comes to a pesticide, I prefer not to use anything, but
if you have a major infestation, and it's not only going to affect
you, but all your neighbors, you may as well either go ahead and use
pesticides and throw away the fruit (if you're of that mind), or cut
down/pull up the offending plant (I'd be hesitant with a tree)... if
thine eye offend thee... because the whiteflies are more or less going
to destroy your crop anyway if you don't get them under control.
Does Safers make a bulk container or one that can be hooked up to a
hose, do you know? I've never looked.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:02 AM
S.V.Proff

(Glenna Rose) wrote in message news:fc.003d094101c4914e3b9aca0061e397fc.1c4915b@ pmug.org...
writes:

Believe me, Santa Clara=Whitefly city... I love Safers, but the damn
things fly away.

But will they affect the kumkuat?

Sam

To me, when it comes to a pesticide, I prefer not to use anything, but
if you have a major infestation, and it's not only going to affect
you, but all your neighbors, you may as well either go ahead and use
pesticides and throw away the fruit (if you're of that mind), or cut
down/pull up the offending plant (I'd be hesitant with a tree)... if
thine eye offend thee... because the whiteflies are more or less going
to destroy your crop anyway if you don't get them under control.
Does Safers make a bulk container or one that can be hooked up to a
hose, do you know? I've never looked.

A couple of years ago, some came in on a fuschia basket. They spread very
quickly and very completely. Fortunately, I got rid of them. It may have
been the ladybugs I turned loose. Also, I leave some of the wasp nests
alone near the garden. Perhaps one or the other ate them. It could also
have been the birds which I encourage that could have gotten them.
Whoever/whatever it was, they were gone after a few weeks. I still thank
all that is good that they disappeared; I was very, very lucky!

Glenna

kumquat tree Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl Gardening 6 08-07-2013 05:41 PM
The friendlyest pond and fishkeeping forum on the internet...pull out in time and you won't have to worry about more puppies. expat[_2_] Gardening 0 01-09-2008 05:07 PM
Kumquat Tree Snubis Edible Gardening 3 20-02-2004 04:33 AM
Kumquat Tree Snubis Gardening 9 20-02-2004 04:32 AM
Kumquat Tree Snubis Edible Gardening 0 18-02-2004 09:58 PM