Old 05-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Caroline

Default Sad buddleja

Welcome Glen.

I relate because my buddleja is angry with me. A fern was brushing up
against it, I just moved the fern but could not do that without the help of
a spade. 10% of the root system has been touched and one twig is hanging
down with accusing frown....

Last March, I pruned it back hard (learned at Gardeners World) - this was
new to me and I had never done it before. But the guy seemed to know his
stuff....
Today as I am comparing mine to the neighbour's (who already know everything
about gardening so they did not watch the same show) - my bushes are much
fuller and have bigger size leaves (about 4-5 times as big as the other
chap!) and a nicer color too. You cannot see through the bush, and the new
branches are less branching out to the side, more going up straight in the
air.

If I were shopping for plants, I would buy mine. I realize that this is not
going to help you right now but if they can hang in there another year, I
suggest you prune back hard next Spring and I am sure that they will regrow
to much happier and healthier plants. Hard - just above the first or second
node from the ground.

Caroline