Old 04-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Glen Able

Default Sad buddleja

Hello,

In my new claypit/garden I was pleased to find 4 B. davidii exactly where I
want them in a very sunny spot, ranging from 2 to 5 feet.

I'm very saddened to find that the two larger ones in particular seem very
unhappy. Their new shoots are barely shooting at all and the new leaves are
small, some are malformed or partly yellow and seem to fall off if brushed
lightly. The chap next door told me that he grew a buddleja some years ago
and it got to medium size before all the leaves fell off and it died.

Does this sound like it could be the very clay soil causing problems? Also
they have grass/clover growing right up to the stems which may be bad? Is
there anything I can do for these existing plants?

many thanks...

Old 05-05-2004, 09:03 AM
Glen Able

In my new claypit/garden I was pleased to find 4 B. davidii exactly where
want them in a very sunny spot, ranging from 2 to 5 feet.

I'm very saddened to find that the two larger ones in particular seem very
unhappy. Their new shoots are barely shooting at all and the new leaves

are
small, some are malformed or partly yellow and seem to fall off if brushed
lightly. The chap next door told me that he grew a buddleja some years

ago
and it got to medium size before all the leaves fell off and it died.

Does this sound like it could be the very clay soil causing problems?

Also
they have grass/clover growing right up to the stems which may be bad?

Is
there anything I can do for these existing plants?

many thanks...

I never know if a lack of response means, "don't know", "don't care" or
possibly, "that's so obvious I'm not even going to answer"

In case it's helpful, some things that *are* doing well nearby are some
neglected apple (I think) trees and ground elder, grape hyacinths and
dandelions. Does any of this suggest why the buddejas are doing so poorly?

thanks for any ideas.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Nick Wagg

"Glen Able" wrote in message

I never know if a lack of response means, "don't know", "don't care" or
possibly, "that's so obvious I'm not even going to answer"

It usually means "don't know" or "haven't noticed your post yet".
I should wait a couple of days before becoming indignant at the
lack of response.

In case it's helpful, some things that *are* doing well nearby are some
neglected apple (I think) trees and ground elder, grape hyacinths and
dandelions. Does any of this suggest why the buddejas are doing so

poorly?

Did you dig in plenty of compost before planting?
Did you firm the ground well after planting to ensure good root contact with
the soil?
Did you water them in well?
--
Nick Wagg

Old 05-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Glen Able

I never know if a lack of response means, "don't know", "don't care" or
possibly, "that's so obvious I'm not even going to answer"

It usually means "don't know" or "haven't noticed your post yet".
I should wait a couple of days before becoming indignant at the
lack of response.

In case it's helpful, some things that *are* doing well nearby are some
neglected apple (I think) trees and ground elder, grape hyacinths and
dandelions. Does any of this suggest why the buddejas are doing so

poorly?

Did you dig in plenty of compost before planting?
Did you firm the ground well after planting to ensure good root contact

with
the soil?
Did you water them in well?
--

Hi Nick,

Thanks for replying! Apologies all round if I seemed indignant. I was just
genuinely confused about the lack of response to what I thought was going to
the sort of easy question which gets answered before my post even appears on
my server.

Anyway, it's a new (my first, hurrah!) house and the buddleja were already
there. They appear to have been stuck directly into the clay/soil and have
grass/clover growing right up to the stem. They're noticeably stunted, are
currently shooting very weakly and the new leaves fall off very easily.

I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done for them. And if not,
would there be any sense in planting new ones, into a good hole (say 2 feet)
with a whole bunch of sand and even rubble?

thanks.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Caroline

Welcome Glen.

I relate because my buddleja is angry with me. A fern was brushing up
against it, I just moved the fern but could not do that without the help of
a spade. 10% of the root system has been touched and one twig is hanging
down with accusing frown....

Last March, I pruned it back hard (learned at Gardeners World) - this was
new to me and I had never done it before. But the guy seemed to know his
stuff....
Today as I am comparing mine to the neighbour's (who already know everything
about gardening so they did not watch the same show) - my bushes are much
fuller and have bigger size leaves (about 4-5 times as big as the other
chap!) and a nicer color too. You cannot see through the bush, and the new
branches are less branching out to the side, more going up straight in the
air.

If I were shopping for plants, I would buy mine. I realize that this is not
going to help you right now but if they can hang in there another year, I
suggest you prune back hard next Spring and I am sure that they will regrow
to much happier and healthier plants. Hard - just above the first or second
node from the ground.

Caroline

Old 05-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Olly

On Wed, 5 May 2004 11:49:10 +0200, "Caroline"
wrote:

[...]

Why not prune them back hard now ? I've never had aproblem doing this
with mine and you train them to the shape/height you want .
Old 05-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Glen Able
writes
[...]

It almost certainly means 'don't know'. In this case there may be a
touch of 'I didn't know there was *any* soil type that buddleia couldn't
cope with' ;-)

In case it's helpful, some things that *are* doing well nearby are some
neglected apple (I think) trees and ground elder, grape hyacinths and
dandelions. Does any of this suggest why the buddejas are doing so poorly?

Sounds just like my garden, and buddleias do OK here. Definitely a
'don't know' from me!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: