Old 06-05-2004, 09:03 AM
gregpresley

Default magnolia tree

Thanks for the link, but, no, I don't think it was this tree. First of all,
the tree I'm talking about was full-grown in 1992 when this cultivar was
released. No, it must be an old but rare cultivar of Magnolia soulangeana.
Some descriptions of M.s.Lennei mention deep purple buds, but I have never
seen it in flower to compare with my memory, and I have never seen it for
sale in a nursery. What always struck be about this tree, other than the
dark purple buds, is that it didn't give the pink and white impression that
almost all saucer magnolias make when most of the flowers are fully open,
but stayed in that darker color range. I'm even wondering if it might have
been some cultivar of magnolia campbellei.
"David J Bockman" wrote in message
. ..
Could this have been Magnolia 'Galaxy'?

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Newintro/galaxy.html

"The National Arboretum presents Magnolia 'Galaxy', unique in form and
flower among cultivated magnolias. 'Galaxy' is a single-stemmed, tree-form
magnolia with ascending branches, the perfect shape for narrow planting
sites. In spring, dark red-purple flowers appear after danger of frost,
providing a pleasing and long-lasting display. Choose 'Galaxy' to shape up
your landscape!"

Dave

"gregpresley" wrote in message
I'm aware of liliflora nigra, but this was quite a large tree - at least

25
feet tall with a single trunk, while liliflora is usually shrubby and
multi-trunked where I have seen it.
"Bill Spohn" wrote in message
I have been searching for a long time
for a beautiful large tree-sized cultivar I passed regularly in

Tallahassee,
Florida, with deep purple buds, which opened deep purple - not pink -

like
beautiful purple tulips.

Lilliflora nigra comes close to what you want. It also blooms at a

young
age.