Old 06-05-2004, 10:14 AM
gary davis

Default Soil improvement-Worldwide?

On 5/5/04 1:06 PM, in article , "Jane
Ransom" wrote:

In article , Mike Lyle
writes
Alan Gould wrote in message
news:VGM3ZkAwg0jAFwgB@a
golincs.demon.co.uk...
This group's topic is UK recreational gardening.

There is no reference to 'recreational' anything in our charter which
states:

uk.rec.gardening To discuss gardening topics relevant to the UK

THE CHARTER:

To discuss gardening issues relevant to the UK. These will
include flowers, shrubs, trees, fruit & vegetables, lawns,
houseplants, beneficial insects & animals, soils, composting,
design, location, situation, seasons/times, hard structures
(paths, greenhouses, cloches, rockeries), ponds, tools &
materials, weeds and pests & diseases. This is not meant to be
an exhaustive list.

In the absence of more appropriate, geographically specific
newsgroups, discussion of gardening in Eire, the Channel Islands
and the Isle of Man will also be welcome. Because there are
climatic, legal, cultural and other differences, discussion of
gardening in other parts of the world is OFF TOPIC (there are
other regional gardening newsgroups, and the global
rec.gardens, one of which may be more appropriate). Please note
that this exclusion relates to subject matter, not people, and
posters from around the globe will be welcome to participate in
or initiate discussion of UK-relevant topics.

Specifically, please remember that there is no direct
correlation between US climate zones and the climate of the UK.

Zzzzzzz....Oh....is something going on here? (scratching head). Humm...the
subject is: Soil Improvement...seems very universal to me.
I was just wondering if there is something that we could do to improve
the soil in Aplhganistan. Gosh, and I don't know how to even spell the name
of the country let alone help them improve their soil. I wonder if they grow
asparagus there? And, if not, WOULD asparagus grow there?
I don't know about you but I find questions like that very interesting.
Just what can we worldly gardeners do about the soil in Afganistan? (Sorry
about the spelling).
When I arrived at uk.rec.gardening, not long ago, I read many of the
posts and replied to several. I did it in good faith thinking we are
gardeners talking the same language.
It would seem that I was mistaken. I find that interesting...
I would like to discuss the possibility of improving soil everywhere. If
it is not possible or acceptable here can anyone tell me where it is
acceptable? Tell me where it is acceptable and I will go there. I hope that
many of you will join me in improving soil everywhere.
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada