Old 06-05-2004, 10:14 AM
gary davis

Default Soil improvement-Worldwide?

On 5/5/04 1:06 PM, in article , "Jane
Ransom" wrote:

In article , Mike Lyle
writes
Alan Gould wrote in message
news:VGM3ZkAwg0jAFwgB@a
golincs.demon.co.uk...
This group's topic is UK recreational gardening.

There is no reference to 'recreational' anything in our charter which
states:

uk.rec.gardening To discuss gardening topics relevant to the UK

THE CHARTER:

To discuss gardening issues relevant to the UK. These will
include flowers, shrubs, trees, fruit & vegetables, lawns,
houseplants, beneficial insects & animals, soils, composting,
design, location, situation, seasons/times, hard structures
(paths, greenhouses, cloches, rockeries), ponds, tools &
materials, weeds and pests & diseases. This is not meant to be
an exhaustive list.

In the absence of more appropriate, geographically specific
newsgroups, discussion of gardening in Eire, the Channel Islands
and the Isle of Man will also be welcome. Because there are
climatic, legal, cultural and other differences, discussion of
gardening in other parts of the world is OFF TOPIC (there are
other regional gardening newsgroups, and the global
rec.gardens, one of which may be more appropriate). Please note
that this exclusion relates to subject matter, not people, and
posters from around the globe will be welcome to participate in
or initiate discussion of UK-relevant topics.

Specifically, please remember that there is no direct
correlation between US climate zones and the climate of the UK.

Zzzzzzz....Oh....is something going on here? (scratching head). Humm...the
subject is: Soil Improvement...seems very universal to me.
I was just wondering if there is something that we could do to improve
the soil in Aplhganistan. Gosh, and I don't know how to even spell the name
of the country let alone help them improve their soil. I wonder if they grow
asparagus there? And, if not, WOULD asparagus grow there?
I don't know about you but I find questions like that very interesting.
Just what can we worldly gardeners do about the soil in Afganistan? (Sorry
about the spelling).
When I arrived at uk.rec.gardening, not long ago, I read many of the
posts and replied to several. I did it in good faith thinking we are
gardeners talking the same language.
It would seem that I was mistaken. I find that interesting...
I would like to discuss the possibility of improving soil everywhere. If
it is not possible or acceptable here can anyone tell me where it is
acceptable? Tell me where it is acceptable and I will go there. I hope that
many of you will join me in improving soil everywhere.
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada

Old 06-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Caroline

When I arrived at uk.rec.gardening, not long ago, I read many of the
posts and replied to several. I did it in good faith thinking we are
gardeners talking the same language.
It would seem that I was mistaken. I find that interesting...
I would like to discuss the possibility of improving soil everywhere.

If
it is not possible or acceptable here can anyone tell me where it is
acceptable? Tell me where it is acceptable and I will go there. I hope

that
many of you will join me in improving soil everywhere.
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada

Gary I think the point is that we must be very clear about our climate or
nobody can help us. I live in the Netherlands and my climate is the same as
at least some parts of the UK.
I read the charter shortly after arriving here and understood the message.
So I do not bother anyone with questions about where can I buy? because I
know I will have to figure that out for myself. Or take the boat to the UK.
Use a bit of common sense and all will be fine. No use in dragging all sorts
of countries into the discussion.

Thanks to what I learned in this group and one nl group, this week I planted
two rhododendrons in my garden. Dug a hole, tossed in a coffee filter (had
to make the coffee just for the occasion because I don't drink it myself)
and a banana peel (not sure about it but figured, food is food) and the
coffee, since I am not drinking it. Planted the rhododendron on top, watered
them and added leaf stuff around it. Some of it half mulch, I have always
tossed the leaves because I did not realise how useful they would be but it
is never too late to start. That will improve the soil and keep the weeds
away.
And felt pretty good about it because it is my favorite plant and I think it
is off at a good start. Then I wondered if I should have teased the roots
but figured, let's just leave it I am sure that nature knows what to do
next.

Caroline

Old 06-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , gary davis
writes
I would like to discuss the possibility of improving soil everywhere. If
it is not possible or acceptable here can anyone tell me where it is
acceptable?
Tell me where it is acceptable and I will go there.

rec.gardens.

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Old 06-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Martin Brown

In message , Caroline
writes
When I arrived at uk.rec.gardening, not long ago, I read many of the
posts and replied to several. I did it in good faith thinking we are
gardeners talking the same language.
It would seem that I was mistaken. I find that interesting...
I would like to discuss the possibility of improving soil everywhere.

Clay "breaking" chemicals like lime sort of work, best applied in Autumn
so you get help from winter frosts. But it is better and longer lasting
to add loads of organic matter or cheap spent mushroom compost to
lighten it up. Clay soils have lousy drainage but are quite fertile so
adjusting your choice of plants to match the habitat might be easier.
Belgium where I lived and gardened for a while is also solid clay (baked
hard in summer, and quagmire in winter).

Gary I think the point is that we must be very clear about our climate or
nobody can help us. I live in the Netherlands and my climate is the same as
at least some parts of the UK.
I read the charter shortly after arriving here and understood the message.
So I do not bother anyone with questions about where can I buy? because I
know I will have to figure that out for myself. Or take the boat to the UK.
Use a bit of common sense and all will be fine.

OTOH for some of us in the UK taking the boat to the Netherlands and
buying plants direct from your bigger nurseries is potentially
attractive to keen UK gardeners. I know a UK dealer who goes over fairly
regularly.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
Old 06-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Caroline

So I do not bother anyone with questions about where can I buy? because I
know I will have to figure that out for myself. Or take the boat to the

UK.
Use a bit of common sense and all will be fine.

OTOH for some of us in the UK taking the boat to the Netherlands and
buying plants direct from your bigger nurseries is potentially
attractive to keen UK gardeners. I know a UK dealer who goes over fairly
regularly.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Funny how that works. I think we may have the bigger nurseries but I also
believe the UK has the bigger gardeners & definitely more gardening programs
on television. Much of our flowers and plants and bulbs is for the export.
IIRC there once was a time when all of this was forbidden. Taking plants or
fruit to your country because of the diseases they might carry. Maybe there
are different rules for tradesmen than for regular folk. Or maybe I am
confused with the USA rules.

Regards,
Caroline

Old 06-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Kay Easton

In article , gary davis
writes

I was just wondering if there is something that we could do to improve
the soil in Aplhganistan. Gosh, and I don't know how to even spell the name
of the country let alone help them improve their soil. I wonder if they grow
asparagus there? And, if not, WOULD asparagus grow there?

Well, yes, that is interesting, but the fact that something is
interesting doesn't necessarily make it on topic. (Mind, that doesn't
stop it being discussed here - we're no better than any other groups at
staying on topic). I'm very interested in the way its difficult to play
an instrument like a recorder outside in the garden when there is a wind
blowing, and wonder whether the 'pepper pot' on the end of a cornamuse
was an attempt to stop the effects of the wind when playing outside ..
but I wouldn't begin to claim that was on topic, even if it's a UK
garden I am playing in!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 06-05-2004, 11:56 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from gary davis contains these words:

(snip urg charter)

Zzzzzzz....Oh....is something going on here? (scratching head).

Indeed there is; your arrogant rudeness to Jane, and the rest of this group.

When I arrived at uk.rec.gardening, not long ago, I read many of the
posts and replied to several. I did it in good faith thinking we are
gardeners talking the same language
It would seem that I was mistaken. I find that interesting...

We're gardeners talking about gardening in the UK. There's a post
every week, explaining that to newcomers and directing them to the
charter. The group charter is a standard Usenet requirement for
newsgroups in this hierarchy.

I would like to discuss the possibility of improving soil everywhere. If
it is not possible or acceptable here can anyone tell me where it is
acceptable? Tell me where it is acceptable and I will go there.

Try rec.gardens.

Janet.

Old 07-05-2004, 10:05 AM
gary davis

On 5/6/04 12:57 PM, in article , "Kay
Easton" wrote:

In article , gary davis
writes

[...]

Yes, good point...I tried playing my banjo in my garden when it was
raining...that didn't work even though the banjo was made in Essex. But then
It was Canadian rain in a Canadian garden.
I think my point was about gardening. Granted there has to be
differences from place to place and climate to climate but yet I think there
are many common gardening problems and solutions to gardening problems that
are common regardless of place and climate.
But I understand your point of view. Do not try to play a recorder in
the wind. Nor talk about it here...I had a recorder once...I gave it
away...can't remember why...hummm....
Now can we get back to asparagus?
Gary
Fort Langley, BC
Canada

Old 07-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from gary davis contains these words:

(HTML
(HEAD
(TITLE Soil improvement-Worldwide?(/TITLE
(/HEAD
(BODY
(FONT FACE="Verdana"On 5/6/04 1:05 PM, in article
, (BR
"Janet Baraclough.."
> wroteBR
(BR
The message >(BR
from gary davis > contains these wordsBR
(BR
(snip urg charter)(BR
(BR
Zzzzzzz....Oh....is something going on here? (scratching head).(BR
(BR
Indeed there is; your arrogant rudeness to Jane, and the rest of this
group.(BR
(BR
(IJanet and Jane and All,  please excuse me...I should know by
now that it is impossible to be humorous on the internet. I was not
intending to be arrogant nor rude, just humorous to get your
attention. I, at least, achieved part of my intent...(BR
(/I(BR
    When I arrived at uk.rec.gardening, not long
ago, I read many of the(BR
posts and replied to several. I did it in good faith thinking we are(BR
gardeners talking the same language(BR
    It would seem that I was mistaken. I find that
interesting...(BR
(BR
We're gardeners talking about gardening in the UK. There's a post(BR
every week, explaining  that to newcomers and directing them to the(BR
charter. The group charter is a standard Usenet requirement for(BR
newsgroups in this hierarchy. (BR
(BR
(IPlease don’t misunderstand me when I say that WWW stands for
World Wide Web...World Wide covers a lot of territory. Bigger than the
UK, Canada and the USA all together as far as I know. But I could be
wrong...I’ve been wrong before.(BR
(BR
(/I    I would like to discuss the possibility of
improving soil everywhere. If(BR
it is not possible or acceptable here can anyone tell me where it is(BR
acceptable? Tell me where it is acceptable and I will go there.(BR
(BR
Try rec.gardens. (BR
    (IYes, rec.gardens...I looked for it once and
since I have read your message I looked again with success! Thanks for
helping out.(BR
    Now I know why the Germans never invaded the
UK...you wouldn’t let them! (BR
Happy gardening all.(BR
(/IGary(BR
Fort Langley, BC(BR
Canada(BR
(BR
(BR
(/FONT
(/BODY
(/HTML

Please don't post in HTML - no proper newsreader resolves it.

(Perhaps I'm being unkind - I don't recall seeing HTML from you before.....)

And yes, I can point you in the direction of soil improvement anywhere
if you are going to stick around.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 07-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Alan Gould

In article , gary davis
writes

***I would like to discuss the possibility of improving soil
everywhere. If it is not possible or acceptable here can anyone

tell me where it is acceptable? Tell me where it is acceptable and
I will go there.

Soil improvement is a perfectly acceptable topic of discussion here, as
it surely must be in any gardening group. It is done in various ways
depending upon the gardener doing it, the resources available and other
factors. I personally do it by organic methods and I call it raising
soil fertility, other UK gardeners have very different approaches to it.
IMHO climate and geography have very little to do with this particular
topic, though some aspects of gardening can be regionally specific.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 07-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:

IMHO climate and geography have very little to do with this particular
topic,

If you read rec.gardens, your opinion might change.

Janet
Old 08-05-2004, 03:07 AM
Kay Easton

In article , gary davis
writes

I think my point was about gardening. Granted there has to be
differences from place to place and climate to climate but yet I think there
are many common gardening problems and solutions to gardening problems that
are common regardless of place and climate.

Indeed - and they're on topic here. But it's useful remembering that
this group is abut gardening in the UK because just occasionally,
someone gives advice that is very good for the US, say, but won't work
here, and if someone were to try it, they'd be very disappointed and
might even lose a loved plant. (Conversely, if someone asks a question
and doesn't make it clear that they're gardening in S africa, say, then
I may give advice which is total rubbish for them) So that's one reason
why I think it is good to make sure people know it's a UK group.

The other reason is the purely selfish one, that as I garden in the UK,
and have found this group which is supposed to be about gardening in the
UK, then I don't want to have to wade through hundreds of posts about
gardening elsewhere to find the UK ones I'm interested in.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 08-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Franz Heymann

Soil improvement-Worldwide?
"gary davis" wrote in message ...
On 5/6/04 1:05 PM, in article ,
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote:

[...]

Happy gardening all.
Gary
Fort Langley, BC
Canada

Gary, why did you post in HTML when this is a text-only ng? You have now effectively made it impossible to reply in-line.

Franz
Old 08-05-2004, 12:06 PM
martin

On Sat, 8 May 2004 04:42:22 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Gary, why did you post in HTML when this is a text-only ng? You have now effectively made it impossible to reply in-line.

Franz

Your post had an HTML attachment too, Franz.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

Gary, why did you post in HTML when this is a text-only ng? You

have now effectively made it impossible to reply in-line.

Franz

Your post had an HTML attachment too, Franz.

Martin,
I did not send any attachment.
There is no attachment in my post as received by me.
I simply replied to the post as was.

Franz