Old 06-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Frank K.

Default Need help with a neighbor's newly planted trees

"Former Organ Donor" wrote in message

"Frank K." wrote in message

As I said in my original post, I planted a row of

Leyland
Cypress at the rear of my property five years ago to

form a
screen. I planted mine ten feet from the three property
lines so I will be able to mow between them and the

lines.
His trees will eventually grow to meet mine, restricting

my
mowing. I have one acre of property, so space is not the
issue. If he had a large oak or other shade tree

crossing
the line, I would not have a problem with it. It's the

low
level growth that bothers me. I don't impose on other
people's property and expect the same of them. I just

don't
want someone to think they can use my property as

theirs.

I did explain the situation to him and that if the trees

are
trimmed to that extent they will probably die. My health
issues will put me in a position to hire someone to do

the
trimming and hauling the trash. I don't feel that I

should
be put in that position.

I'm feel I'm a good neighbor, helping my neighbors

whenever
they need me. I have a fully equipped woodworking shop

and a
welder and I gladly use them to help my neighbors

without
charge.

Some neighbors suck. It is the luck of the draw I suppose.

I have a guy next
door that thinks about 4 feet into my property is his. He

isn't going to be
happy when I put up that privacy fence. Maybe you can put

up a privacy fence
on just that property line. Any ideas on what would happen

to the trees if
this was done?

I have thought of a fence, but then again the victim has the
burden of protection against intruders. Some people that
have replied to the thread said that since I have more
property than the neighbor, that I should be willing to let
it go and that I will benefit from the trees. First, I have
a row of trees that are more than five years ahead of the
neighbor;s and they are the ones I will benefit from. His
are redundant. Second, as far as me having more property,
that's what I am paying for and I want FULL access to it,
even if only to mow it. I had a next door neighbor who
thought the property lines meant little and he used my
property to turn on when mowing his grass. If my grass was
longer than his, I wound up with a scalloped edge along that
line until I mowed it. Both of my next door neighbors and I
do not cross the lines when mowing and we don't even blow
the clippings on each others property. They are great
neighbors. I wish the one in back was the same.