Old 06-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Emery Davis

Default nettles

On Mon, 3 May 2004 18:16:51 +0100, "Brian" said:

] SBK will kill nettles and grass. However the nettles will not survive mowing
] on a regular basis.
] Nettles are a good indication of a very fertile soil.
] Introduced [allegedly] by the Romans for their fibres that make a coarse
] cloth. The fibres are rough to handle and hence the story of the Princess
] who had to weave coats for her brothers to change them from swans etc.
[]

Brian,

Around here the word is that the Romans beat their legs with nettles
in order to stay warm and improve circulation. Tough fellows, those
Romans...

I agree, mowing works a treat. Of course every serious organic
gardener keeps a nettle patch, right?

Recently I tasted a bottle of a sort of "nettle cider," apparently an
old-time drink. The brewer used to be in the commercial nettle
supply and garden spray business, so I guess he's got plenty to
work with. Not half bad, but perhaps not all good, either.

-E

-E

--
Emery Davis