Old 07-05-2004, 05:02 AM
Kay Lancaster

Default Types of Grasses

I'm interested in starting a patch of wildflowers in the lawn.
Problem is, I'm not sure what kind of grass I have, whether it's part
of the natural landscape or if it was planted there at some point.

If you've got lawn, chances are you don't have native grasses.

Could someone help me out? I'd like to know what grasses, native and
nonative, there are and Google or a group search didn't help out.
Sites that talk all about grasses and have photos should be helpful.

Grasses are often a challenge to identify, especially before they come
into flower and fruit. Probably your best bet is to ask your county
extension for help identifying what's in your lawn... if you do want
to go native, chances are you'll want to nuke the entire lawn and
replant. Some info on common lawn grasses in Alabama:
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/dept/ay/tur..._extension.htm

You might also want to get in touch with the Alabama Wildflower Society:
http://www.alabamawildflower.org/

Kay